We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Basically want to know how much to expect to spend ( Lodging, park fees, food etc) AND What will possibly be open while we are there. We badly wanted to do Glacier point but from previous advice it sounds we may not be able to do that unless we came late may! Hopefully this is not the case and we can plan a hike from the valley floor.

Also, is it suggested you go in large groups? I'm from Canada and I am used to large wildlife ( Bears, moose, wolves, cougars ) but here they are just afraid of people and run away, are they a bit braver in Yosemite due to the high amount of visitors it gets every year?? Just want to know if we should pack some bear spray as its just the two of us and we plan on doing A LOT of hiking. May have a few more questions to follow but this is enough for now!

Thanks!!

Alyssa

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
11. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Not crazy at all! Theres a park near me called Silent Lake, and you have to book weeks in advance for reservations in Winter! Though winter camping might be a little more popular here, I fully understand how hard it is to get reservations. I will be checking curry out tomorrow. Thanks so much!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
47,281 posts
92 reviews
12. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

There is a B&B inside the Park gates in Yosemite West. Have you read the lodging information linked to the Top Questions?

Campground info: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

>>I fully understand how hard it is to get reservations.<<

Lodging in the Valley ... begins taking reservations one year in advance. Some popular options are gone the first day. Others 'last' for a month or two.

Camping in the Valley ... takes reservations about 4 months in advance at 7 am on the 15th of the month. Every one of the 380 campsites for every day of that month are reserved within 3-5 minutes.

So Cal
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
68 reviews
13. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Re Oakhurst: there may be good reasons to stay there, but I wouldn't do it to break up the drive to LA. Oakhurst is on the 41, maybe an hour from Yosemite Valley. So you're still faced with that whole long, boring drive the next day.

Really, there's not a whole you can do to avoid it. Bring some good tunes? Car games were invented for drives like that. :-)

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,281 posts
92 reviews
14. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

My ideas of the best reasons to stay in Oakhurst ....

- visit Mariposa Grove at the end of the day and drive just 30 minutes to Oakhurst.

- on the way between somewhere and Yosemite NP.

- cheaper than some of the locations inside the Park.

- baked potatoes at The Produce Place.

----------------------

But, it's closer to 1.5 hours to drive into Yosemite Valley. That's too far for many visitors. For hikers, plan on 3 hours to Tuolumne Meadows for spectacular hikes (in season, of course.)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,566 posts
86 reviews
15. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

If you stay in Oakhurst, another advantage is that you can get to Bridalveil Creek Campground early enough to secure a first-come, first-serve campsite (we've never *not* found one using that method). RV sites fill up soon enough, but the tent sites don't. Can't find cheaper accommodation that that! (And it's lovely - although I don't think they have showers, can't remember, think we paid for showers at Curry Village - but we now have a shower thingie that we use at the campsite with the proper biodegradable soap, of course).

Keep trying for Curry Village. As you are two young ladies, you could also try asking people (nearly all of them young people) at Camp Four if they will share their site with you (bring smallest possible tent if you use this plan). Camp Four is an amazing, lively place to stay, it's where the climbers stay and it's fun to hear their stories (and watch them bouldering and doing other practice things). Camp Four sites will allow up to six people but are often occupied by just two, and people are friendly. You could, for example, get a site at Bridalveil Creek for your second night, then check out Camp Four and move for your third night if that suited you. That's an adventurous way to approach Yosemite in the event that May is completely booked (and I predict all campsites that are reservable are reserved and that nearly every other accommodation that isn't super-expensive will also be reserved for May, mid-week or not).

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,281 posts
92 reviews
16. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Camp 4 has rangers fitting folks together now. Potential campers line up at the ranger kiosk early early early. If five people leave Camp 4 that day, the rangers let the first 5 people in line stay there. The rest of the folks in line are out of luck. And if no one leaves the campground, then everyone is out of luck. Check out this photo of a line: myyosemite.com/sites/default/files/yosemite-… (late May, 2010)

Bridalveil Creek is a beautiful campground, tho' I haven't spent the night there. I think the opening date is early July.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,566 posts
86 reviews
17. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Hmm. We've stayed in Bridalveil in May (but in 2011) as we gave up going to Yosemite during June, July and August. I think it opens when it opens (which is a difficulty).

Interesting how they're managing Camp Four now. I was not speaking of new potential campers, but of the fact that existing campsites permit up to six people (unless that too has changed). You sort of have to make friends with someone who isn't using their campground to full extent (the rangers did not and do not, to my knowledge, write down the names of all campground occupants nor do they check to see that all are there on the first night). Not that this is a reliable way of finding a campsite! The thing to do is hope that one of the first come first serve will have some availability (knowing that Bridalveil Creek opens earlier than, say, White Wolf). If not, you go back down to Tenaya Lake or someplace.

Or, as most of us here would suggest, you make sure you have some kind of cabin/hotel/motel accommodation in the Yosemite area before arriving.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,281 posts
92 reviews
18. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Historical seasonal openings for campgrounds, trails, & roads: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

I think it would be easier for two people to find someone in a regular campsite with room to spare. I have no idea if the camp ranger would frown on this, but there are hundreds of regular campsites in the regular Valley campgrounds so a walk through them might be one way to make new friends who have room to spare. (The 'guests' would probably have to pay for an extra car.)

The only way I know that rangers let an excess of folks stay in Camp 4 is if the visitor has taken public transportation into Yosemite Valley and has no way to leave. But that's supposed to be a semi-secret.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
37 reviews
19. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Just a couple notes about Camp 4 in case others come upon this thread at some point. The rangers do indeed check ID's and record information for every single individual checking into Camp 4. One implication of this is that an entire group must stand in line at Camp 4 together...meaning people can't just send one in their group to stand in line.

When you check in, you're given a tag of sorts that attaches to your tent, to show you've checked in. Rangers do indeed to patrol the campground looking for tags, though not necessarily militantly on a regular basis. But they do check. Does that mean people don't manage to find a way to slip in? No. I have no doubt they do. But keep in mind that one of the reasons campgrounds have limits/registration is how many people restroom/trash facilities/food lockers can realistically handle.

There's actually a separate campground where visitors who come in on foot or by bus are allowed to stay for one night only. It is not Camp 4.

Happy planning everyone!

20. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2014