We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bancroft, Canada
reviews: 10
Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Basically want to know how much to expect to spend ( Lodging, park fees, food etc) AND What will possibly be open while we are there. We badly wanted to do Glacier point but from previous advice it sounds we may not be able to do that unless we came late may! Hopefully this is not the case and we can plan a hike from the valley floor.

Also, is it suggested you go in large groups? I'm from Canada and I am used to large wildlife ( Bears, moose, wolves, cougars ) but here they are just afraid of people and run away, are they a bit braver in Yosemite due to the high amount of visitors it gets every year?? Just want to know if we should pack some bear spray as its just the two of us and we plan on doing A LOT of hiking. May have a few more questions to follow but this is enough for now!

Thanks!!

Alyssa

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 26
1. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Yosemite is not known for large wildlife. Bears, yes, but they aren't grizzlies and aren't known to be agressive. Their main agression is towards parked cars in the middle of the night when food is left inside. As a general rule, bear spray isn't used in Yosemite.

You might have more issues if you were doing some long backpacking trips into the high country, but that will likely still be full of snow when you arrive.

You are right that Glacier Point is probably going to be closed. You may be able to get to Badger and do some snowshoeing, however. Also, you can likely hike the John Muir trail up to a reasonably high elevation; the Mist Trail is an option but if there is still any chance of ice, I'd stay away. Check with rangers or at the Visitor's Center in the valley when you arrive to see what trails are open and in what condition.

Washington State
Destination Expert
reviews: 56
2. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

I think the road to Badger Pass & on to Glacier Point will be entirely closed by mid-April, so you won't be able to snowshoe or cross country ski at all.

Here is some seasonal info about trails: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

No, you do not need to be in a large group.

You absolutely MUST have lodging reservations. You could spend $500 a night or $100 a night or $20 for a campsite. So it's not possible to tell you how much you'll be spending. Read the Lodging info in the upper right, Top Questions about Yosemite.

$20 covers the Yosemite entrance fee for seven days.

Food depends on what you eat... $18 for a sandwich at the Ahwahnee Hotel Dining Room, $8 for a fast-food style sandwich, or fill a cooler and make your own sandwiches. Dining options are listed in the Yosemite Guide newspaper nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm Read last April's issue for ideas about this April

Also read the Trip Reports & the Itineraries for activity ideas. The latter half of Mist Trail is closed until mid-April for overhanging ice danger; if it's still closed during your visit use the all year route: yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50702

Bear spray is illegal in Yosemite. There is more info about Yosemite bears in the Top Questions.

After you've read through some of the information, let us know how we can help you finalize your itinerary. Details about your hiking skills, length of visit, and travel style will help us to assist you with your plans.

Bancroft, Canada
3. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Thanks guys!!

The bear spray was more of a joke, I like to think of myself as a bit more capable with wildlife than that haha. It is illegal here in most of Canada's parks as well. So most of the top places will be inaccessible, do you think we would be able to get to the valley floor at least? I know hiking up the falls and half dome are probably not an option, but could we at least get a peak of them from the lower levels of the valley floor?

I really wish I could come later in the year when these would be more accessible, but flight rates go up, and I'm also planning a trip to Newfoundland in June! My hiking level is moderate, I'm not crazy in shape, I love to climb, and I hike, but I would put me as a beginner/intermediate hiker. Nothing advanced, or too over exerting as I don't want to get in over my head lol. My visit in Cali will be a week long, plan on spending at least 3 days in Yosemite Valley area. I'm going with a friend of mine, as I stated before and we are alright with roughing it, but probably wont have room for a tent with us, so probably have to resort to getting hotels. Few B&Bs have caught my eyes, I like the more independent sort of lodging.

Thanks again for all of your help! This is awesome feedback and really helping me get a feel for the area!

So Cal
reviews: 50
4. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

lysslloyd, Yosemite Valley will be accessible, it's other places that might not. E.g. the John Muir Trail, Mist Trail, camping etc that the others have mentioned are in the valley. The road to Glacier Point is a couple thousand feet higher in elevation (not in the valley) and will not be open yet. There are trails from the valley floor that go up to Glacier Point, but they might not be open yet either (or might be too slushy to be much fun). You will be able to admire Half Dome and Yosemite Falls from the valley floor.

You might find the official map here helpful to orient your planning. http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

Look at Curry Village lodging info - sounds like you might enjoy it, *if* there's still availability.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
5. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Somehow I missed the fact that you didn't have housing yet the first time I read this. Hopefully, if you are coming midweek, you might be able to find some openings at the yosemitepark.com website. I think you will likely be OK staying in a tent cabin, which is the type of lodging most likely to become available to you. If you are flexible in your dates, then I'm crossing my fingers that something will open up for you.

Your biggest costs will likely be for food, which isn't cheap in the park. There is a grocery store in Yosemite Village where you can pick up some picnic type items if you want to save on some meals. Otherwise, your least expensive options tend to be in Curry Village or at Dengan's Deli in Yosemite Village.

Of course, there's also the cost of gas. Be sure to fill up before you are too far into the mountains. The closer you get to the park, the more expensive gas becomes.

Bancroft, Canada
6. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Thank you sooooo much guys, really thinking about pushing our trip back to May now. A lot of issues with not just hiking areas being closed, but access to roads in yosemite is tight, especially if you rent a vehicle and cant find anywhere that sells tire chains. Can't exactly bring them with me from Canada!

Thanks for the heads up on Gas, that will be a HUGE expense on our side. Once we have our flights booked I am going to get busy calling all these places to reserve, our trip will be through the week so hopefully we can find a campsite to pull into, and invest in a pop up tent!

Thanks again guys, I will have many more questions before we fly out ( and maybe while I'm there ) you have been VERY helpful!

Lyss

Washington State
Destination Expert
reviews: 56
7. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Hi again Lyss

Tire chain info is in the Top Q in the upper right. It is unlikely that you'd need chains for mid-April.

More of the park will be accessible in late May, but there will be lots more visitors. The best hiking is in August & September, but the waterfalls are pretty low by then.

When to Visit: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c167892

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 38
8. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

>>our trip will be through the week so hopefully we can find a campsite to pull into,<<

I believe there are only a few campsites that don't prebook, and they only mention one being available in May and June, not April. The info below is from the NP website: www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm

May through June

Very few first-come, first-served campsites are available in May and June. Typically, only Camp 4 (a walk-in campground) is open during this period, but some other first-come, first-served campgrounds can open in late June if conditions allow.

If you plan to camp in Yosemite during summer without a reservation, you are limited to the following campgrounds.

Camp 4 (Yosemite Valley) (no RVs/trailers)

Bridalveil Creek (RVs up to 35 feet/trailers up to 24 feet)

Tamarack Flat (not recommended for RVs/trailers)

White Wolf (RVs up to 27 feet/trailers up to 24 feet)

Yosemite Creek (not recommended for RVs/trailers)

Porcupine Flat (limited space for RVs up to 24 feet/trailers up to 20 feet)

Tuolumne Meadows (RVs and trailers up to 35 feet)

Bancroft, Canada
9. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

Thanks! I will be sure to book our campsites/accommodations as soon as we book our flights! Thanks for the big list of campsites, thats very helpful!

Anyone recommend any great b&b's close to the park? I have read and contacted a few people, but I'd like to hear it from locals if possible :) Also, whats the best place to stay in Oakhurst? I was recommended to stay there on the long trek back to LA to break up the other wise boring drive on I-99 ( So I've been told its boring)

Thanks!

Alyssa

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
10. Re: Two young ladies coming to Yosemite in Mid April

I know you may think this is crazy, but I would check availability in the park BEFORE you book your flight. Accommodations are harder to come by than airline tickets! And campgrounds are even harder; work towards a tent cabin in Curry and you should be fine.

For B&B's, check staynearyosemite.com. There are a couple of nice motels in Oakhurst. I've stayed at the Best Western and it was fine.