We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roanoke, Virginia
Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

We're staying three nights in Yosemite in early April. We're looking at a B&B in Mariposa, but now I'm getting nervous about road closures. We'd like to see Hetch Hetchy, but I see that road is closed indefinitely. I've also promised my hubby we'd see sequoias but it looks like the Mariposa Grove Road is closed maybe through mid-April. I guess you can always get into the Valley, no matter the time of year right? Is Mariposa too far away for what we'd like to see?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

Personally, I'm not fond of Mariposa as a place to stay as it's about 75 minutes from Yosemite Valley. But lodgings are less expensive, so it's popular.

When I called last week, Mariposa Grove Road was open. Did you call the recording today? 209-372-0200

Instead of Mariposa Grove (500 trees), you could visit Tuolumne Grove (25 trees) or Merced Grove (20 trees.) Any of them will require hiking into the grove of trees.

If you choose to stay in Mariposa (it might fit your travel style perfectly!), then drive to Mariposa Grove via Oakhurst. It's shorter than driving through Yosemite Valley.

Here is some info about a spring visit: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i35232 This list has ideas for just two days; with 3 days you can do & see more. Also read the Trip Reports in the Top Questions in the upper right. The Top Q has lodging info too.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 27
2. Re: Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

Mariposa is along the "all season" highway 140, so that shouldn't ba a problem for you in terms of road closures (although I agree with PNW that it's a bit far away.)

The only road closures that will be in effect are Glacier Point Road and the Tioga Pass road. You should still be able to get to either the Mariposa Grove of Big Trees, or the Tuolumne Grove, without any problems other than a long drive.

Roanoke, Virginia
3. Re: Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

I hear you about Mariposa, but it was really the only place we could afford to stay. Gotta cut the budget somewhere on our two week trek. We don't really mind the drive though. Thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
4. Re: Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

You probably already know this, but the town of Mariposa and the Mariposa Grove are not in the same place. The town of Mariposa is about an hour or so from Yosemite Valley. Town of El Portal, and The Bug Hostel in Midpines (I believe they have individual rooms, not just dorm rooms), would be closer, but Mariposa would have a bigger variety and likely lower rates than El Portal. Looked into Camp Curry in Yosemite Valley?

Edited: 12:03 pm, March 08, 2013
5. Re: Mariposa and concerns about April road closures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park