We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite August -September 2014

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tigerton, Wisconsin
reviews: 16
Yosemite August -September 2014

My hubby and I are tentatively planning our next vacation which would be August 28- September 7, 2014 for Sequoia National Park and Yosemite National Park. Thinking we would fly into and out of Fresno. I notice from reading the forum that staying away from the parks on Labor Day weekend is a good idea. The dates we come in are not changeable, so are there other suggestions for what to do for the weekend and then maybe head into the parks after the traffic has left? We are not interested in city activities. Just starting to look at this but would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Kristene

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Yosemite August -September 2014

Sequoia - Kings Canyon NP is so much quieter than Yosemite. You might want to visit that jointly managed NP over the holiday.

Another option is to stay in the high country over the holiday ~ either Tuolumne Meadows Lodge Tent Cabins or outside the Tioga Pass entrance in Lee Vining, June Lakes, or even Mammoth Lake.

Go ahead and start researching lodging options now for Yosemite. Reserving a year in advance for a popular time is a great idea.

Tigerton, Wisconsin
2. Re: Yosemite August -September 2014

Thanks! I have lots of time and appreciate the info. Will probably do Sequoia at the start of the trip and enter Yosemite after Labor Day. I will keep reading the info here, and will book early, and ask more questions as we get closer to 2014.

Kristene

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Yosemite August -September 2014

Are you camping? Want to do long day hikes?

You should be fine in Sequoia. Kings Canyon gets overrun with people from Fresno on weekends in August. Best to avoid it then.

If you want to get away from everyone during Labor Day weekend, you could always head up to Mono Hot Springs. This is a very isolated part of the Sierra. There's camping but also a lodge. And there are some great day hikes.

Tigerton, Wisconsin
4. Re: Yosemite August -September 2014

Thanks, I put Sequoia down for less busy, and added Mono Hot Springs to the list, very isolated sounds great! No camping, because we are flying in, but definitely some long day hikes. I appreciate any advice, this is a completely new area for us as we've always driven to our vacation spots in the past.

Kristene

5. Re: Yosemite August -September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 16, 2014