We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

We are a fit couple who love to hike and have a very active two year old. If Tioga Rd is open in mid June, we might be able to take a detour to spend a day or two there. We have never been to Yosemite.

The challenge is that our toddler hates to be pinned in the car. He likes to walk, play with sticks, etc. Is happy in a backpack carrier for a while but hates a stroller with a passion.

Assuming Tioga is open, can you recommend short hikes and sights in mid June? Is Yosemite Valley worth driving 2 hours (4 roundtrip) or would we be better served with some other hikes with great views on the East side of the park, saving Yosemite Valley for when he is older? It would be a mid week trip in mid June.

1. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

If it were just us, there is no doubt we would do it. An unhappy toddler, however, means a miserable trip for everyone. Really hoping there is a way we can experience at least some of the park.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
2. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

Hmmm. This is a tough one.

In mid-June, you're likely to have slush, leftover snow, and torrents of streams in Tuolumne Meadows. Those might be fun for the toddler, dangerous, or just cold. But it's possible that you'll have a great adventure exploring just a bit of Tuolumne Meadows. I'd recommend walking toward Twin Bridges and just having a lovely exploration stroll. (Brief description at the end of the Lyell Fork hike: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/loader.cfm… )

Does your 2 year old nap? If so, plan the return drive when he is sleeping. You're right that the drive is about 2 hours. I don't know if it's worth it to you.

How about Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias located near Crane Flat? That could be a good adventure as well.

3. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

He does nap now, but seems to want to give it up. Will keep my fingers crossed that he is still napping then. Maybe the thing to do is wake super early and pack him into the carseat so he can go back to sleep on the way to the valley and plan the return for either naptime or bedtime.

He would love nothing more than jumping in puddles all day.

Welcome any itinerary suggestions.

4. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

Great suggestions! I will hope for at least the meadows and seqoias.

I wonder if Gaylor Lakes trail will be doable or too much snow.

Edited: 9:40 pm, February 10, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
5. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

Read this thread: (Trail Conditions in early June) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k60977…

If the winter is mild, the trail will just be wet. If the winter is usual or severe, there will be snow.

6. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

Very helpful! Here's hoping we can join the over planners club!

Washington State
Destination Expert
7. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

You're in! (I don't know how you can parent an active 2 year old without having multiple plans up your sleeves. Kudos to you!)

8. Re: itinerary help. 1 day in June with toddler East side of Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park