We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite in May

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 5
Yosemite in May

My wife and I are planning to be in SF area for a week. We were thinking of going to Yosemite for 2-3 days. It looks like a big part of the park will be closed in mid-May. Do you think 2 days (1 night) will be enough to see what's open (Mariposa Grove, Yosemite Valley, Hetch Hetchy)? Thank you.

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
1. Re: Yosemite in May

If you want all 3 areas, you might need 2 nights. It depends on whether you like hiking and walking, relaxing or if you just want to drive and look out the window. Just driving between the HH and the valley will take more than an hour.

Many people spend half day at Mariposa Grove and 1 day (or more) exploring the valley. Hetch Hetchy is not as popular but it can be explored in half a day or skipped if you can only send one night.

If you have the time, you should try to spend 2 nights and 2 full days.

Edited: 11:43 pm, February 02, 2013
Boston
2. Re: Yosemite in May

Thank you for a prompt response. we do like hiking and walking so two nights is what we'll do. Obviously it's too late to reserve the Yosemite Lodge at Falls and Yosemite West condos have really bad reviews on TripAdvisor. Any other options other than Groveland? I really don't want to drive extra 1.5 hrs each way two days in a row.

Silver Spring...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Yosemite in May

juday is right about re-checking reservations for Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. I also went in May one year, and no rooms were available. It took me more than two months of daily checking, but I finally got a room.

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
4. Re: Yosemite in May

Groveland is not as convenient as El portal if visiting the valley itself. I assume you considering Groveland because you're driving from San Francisco. The hotels in el portal are closer – you just take Route 140 instead of 120

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c41113/Yosemit…

Yosemite view lodge is the closest but more expensive than the cedar lodge a little further down the road. The wawona hotel is nice if you like historic hotels and do not mind Shared bathrooms (private baths hard to book)

Boston
5. Re: Yosemite in May

They were out of standard rooms at Yosemite View Lodge and I didn't want to pay $280 for their next level of rooms. Rented a studio at Yosemite West (B102) through Scenic Wonders for $199 plus tax after reading that it was very clean as of last July. We may try to do Hetch Hetchy and Mariposa Grove on the day we are driving from SF, then spend two full days in Yosemite Valley.

I know this is Yosemite National Park forum but do you have any advice on what else we can do in two days (Thursday and Friday) in this part of California? We are leaving Yosemite at the end of day on Wednesday and do not plan to return to SF till late at night on Friday. Thanks.

Livermore...
6. Re: Yosemite in May

None of the park is actually "closed" in May, though some of the roads are closed. For people with only a couple of days, that amounts to much the same thing.

Usually May is the best time for waterfall viewing, so at least one full day in Yosemite Valley will be superb. Depending on the stage of the Moon, an evening to see moonbows around the falls might be enough to encourage you to stay in (or at least very near) the Valley.

For a second full day, either the Valley again or the Mariposa/Wawona area is your best bet. As always, it depends on your likes. There's actually a trail all around the floor of the Valley which, at about 18 miles total, is great for two days for most people, one (long) day if you're really gung ho. There are also fabulous trails that lead up from the Valley as far and as high as you care to go. If you give us some idea of how you like to spend your time, I and many others on this forum can give you some more specific advice.

Boston
7. Re: Yosemite in May

We actually spent the Christmas week in 2010 & 2011 in California (we are from the East coast). In 2010 driving from LA to SF along Rt.1 for three days, going back to Carmel and Big Sur for extra time there, and a couple of days in Sonoma and Napa. In 2011 it was SF for several days and a trip along Rt.1 to the north to Fort Ross. So this time we are looking for nature beauty away from the coast. Walking and hiking is fine.

As I've said we are planning to do at least Mariposa Grove on day 1 in Yosemite and then days 2&3 in the Valley itself.

8. Re: Yosemite in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 06, 2014