We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Dome - The Saddle

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke, United...
Half Dome - The Saddle

Hi

Can We get to The Saddle of Half Dome without a permit?

Grey

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

Here is some information about hiking Half Dome: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d139183 Be sure to read the YosemiteHikes link and MrHalfDome link at the bottom of that article.

I believe that the ranger will be stationed at the base of the subdome again this year (when the cables are up.)

If you aren't going to the top of Half Dome, there are some absolutely fabulous hikes we can recommend that do not require permits and have wonderful views.

Basingstoke, United...
2. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

I am hoping to get to the top, as long as I get a permit inthe lottery.

Grey

Washington State
Destination Expert
3. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

There are also some permits available on the day before the hike. That article should explain more and have links to the NPS website as well as MrHalfDome's website with more information.

Good luck!

San Jose, California
reviews: 2
4. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

Mr Grey - Mr Half Dome here.

NO - you cannot go beyond the Ranger who is at the base of SubDome withouty a permit. You can;t even tell them that you are not going up the cables but you just want to see them from the saddle. Nope.

It's going g to be hard for all of us this year. Be sure to enter the lottery during the month of March. They will announce winners April 15. A tip - wekends in June are very popular - up to 3,000 people applying for permits. I suggest you come late in the summer. September it really settles down.

Sorry but PacificNW is right. Try for the 2-day's in advance mini lottery. At least 50 will be lotteried off. If you dont; win there are many other great hikes. I like Clouds Rest - no permit!! The top of Yosemite Falls is also neat.

See you on top!

Rick

Basingstoke, United...
5. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

Mr Halfdome, it is Mrs Grey............... (rofl)

Thank you so much for your response. It is the challeng of the Half Dome that appeals to me, and I shall be applying on the website the moment it opens up on the 1st March, fingers crossed I get the 2 permits I require. If not we will try again the 2 days before.

The day we want to go up is Saturday the 7th September. This will be the middle of our time spent in Yosemite, we will arrive by road from San Fran on the 6th, leaving on the 8th.

We are hoping to see/hike other shorter areas on the first and third day, we are satying the first 2 nights at Yosemite falls and the last night at Curry Village in the tents just for the experience.

We like waterfalls, but realise a lot will be dry by September. We like to take photographs of wildlife and scenery.

Any other info/ideas/advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Grey

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
6. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

You will maximize your chances of getting a permit if you list alternate dates. You can prioritize them, listing Sept. 7 first, but if I were doing this I would also list another day. It looks like you have 3 nights in Yosemite? That gives you 2 full days, on either of which you could do Half Dome.

Basingstoke, United...
7. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

OMG! Enzian, you are so right, total blond moment on my part, we leave Yosemite on the 9th, so when I apply I will list the 7th and 8th.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

So if I was lucky enough to get a permit and use up one of our days, any suggestions on some nice leisurely strolls/short hikes that would be nice to do.

Thank you

Grey

Washington State
Destination Expert
8. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

Hi Grey

There are lots of suggestions in the Top Questions (Trip Reports) and the Itineraries. Also read www.YosemiteHikes.com

I think the Taft Point - Pohono Trail - Sentinel Dome loop is a nice one. There isn't much elevation gain, but much of the trail is around 8,000' elevation so it's a nice 'warm up' for high elevation hiking. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061

If you're spending a day in the high country along Tioga Road, there are oodles of great hikes to choose from. Gaylor Lakes is one of my new favorites.

If you're going to Mariposa Grove, get there early and hike out to Wawona Point. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d592681

9. Re: Half Dome - The Saddle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 17, 2014