We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
reviews: 23
Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Hi. Staying in stovepipe wells for 2 nights, then driving over to wawona. Decided to go for the southern route because of uncertainty around Tioga. Do not like very long days driving. We would set out from stovepipe after breakfast. Where would be a good place to stop overnight to wawona. We would like to get to wawona by about lunch on the day after, so I guess we need to be about 3 or 4 hours away. Any suggestions for somewhere interesting on this route? Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
11. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

lac7 ~ no rental company wants you to put chains on your car. But you might be asked at the South Entrance if you are carrying chains. You can buy them in Oakhurst, if needed.

But, if there is a big storm during your visit then I suggest you don't stay at the Wawona Hotel at all. The South Entrance is at 5,000' and you'd probably need chains to get up that high to enter. If there is a big storm, stay in Mariposa and use the YARTS but to get into Yosemite Valley. You'd miss visiting Mariposa Grove.

Another option is to stay in Oakhurst and to take a guided tour, but I don't know how easy that is to set up at this late date.

To get to OAK (Oakland Airport) I think you should use Hwy 140, the All Weather Route. Then just use Google Maps.

Here is a Death Valley map of routes from Las Vegas (even tho' this is the Yosemite forum) nps.gov/deva/…20Vegas.pdf I hope you've started a thread over there for assistance.

Nottingham
12. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Thanks everyone, had not realised elavation of Wawona! So much to learn...

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
13. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Wawona is the same elevation at Yosemite Valley. But the only way to get to Wawona is to use a higher elevation road.

Hwy 41 ~ ascends from the flat Central Valley / Fresno through the foothills to Oakhurst 2,200'. Continue up curving road through Fish Camp to the South Entrance 5,000'. Descend 4 miles on curving road (35 mph speed limit inside the Park) to Wawona at 4,000'.

Hwy 140 ~ ascends from the flat Central Valley / Merced through the foothills to Mariposa 2,000'. Ascend to 3,000' then descend to around 2,000' and follow the Merced River past El Portal 2,000' to the Arch Rock Entrance. Continue to follow the river (35 mph) to Yosemite Valley at 4,000'. If you want to drive to Wawona from Yosemite Valley, you must drive up to 6,200' (Chinquapin / turn off to Glacier Point) and then down to Wawona.

Nottingham
14. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Thanks, all really useful stuff. Just looked on the weather site and snow showers are forecast for 9th and 10th Novemer in Yosemite, just the days I am travelling. so this might all come into play. I am thinking to go to El Portal and try and use the YART in the event of snow, as dont much like driving in icy conditions (us Brits not that used to it).

At least its warm in Death Valley! Thanks everyone for all your excellent advice.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
15. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

Hope you have a reservation for SPW already because there's the 49encampment that time of year.

http://www.deathvalley49ers.org/

16. Re: Stay on route to south entrance Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 10, 2013