We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 370
TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

This is the continuation of my trip report detailing our tour through the National Parks of the Sierras. We started our excursion with Sequoia and Kings Canyon and next we are heading to Yosemite. Here are the links to the previous parts of this long and rambling TR:

Intro and travel to CA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k565195…

Sequoia National Park:

tripadvisor.com/…42758008

So we’ll pick up the trail on 6/24 as we drive from Sequoia to Yosemite….

28 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
21. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

It is the light and shade that give me trouble in a forested area. Maybe sometime you could show me how you deal with that.

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 13
22. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Great photos, OH!

I finally got to look at them.

I especially like the panoramic ones. I also liked the ones with you and Mrs OH in them.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
23. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Kbec: You know, I just point and shoot then hope for the best. With digital, it is just a simple matter of taking a lot of photos and finding the few real gems. Plus I have Photoshop Elements to help clean some of the shots that are sort of iffy. Since we are moving about, there is no guarantee that I’ll get good lighting for a particular shot, so I just have to take what I can get. For some special shots, I will try to be at the right place at the right time (in Yellowstone last year, I made a point of getting the rainbow at the base of the Lower Falls, which happens at a specific time of day, and I planned to be on the hill overlooking Grand Prismatic Spring about noon for the best lighting as well…but otherwise, I was just winging it!).

Danny: Thanks for the kind words about my photos (some are MsHick’s; she is getting much better at photography as well). I also prefer the panoramic shots, but I have been working on trying to capture the small scale subjects as well. Interesting that you mention that photos with me or MsHick in them. For the longest time, we hardly ever took a shot of each other as our focus is on the natural wonders. When we were in Belize, our guide mentioned to us that we were not like most tourists in that we did not take photos of each other, which I thought was a good thing, but it did get us to start at least trying to take a few with one of us in the frame. I also discussed this point with wings1980 during the Kanab meet-up. She has a great eye for capturing folks in photo as part of the overall story of the scene and gave me some more to think about.

Independence...
reviews: 10
24. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Thanks for such a great trip report! We're planning a trip in July 2014 and I got so much useful information from your journal - thanks so much for the effort that went into writing it. I especially appreciated the comparisons of the Sequoia National Park and the Mariposa Grove since we only have one week and are trying to decide which one to do. We're also trying to squeeze in a two night backpacking trip (from Tuolumne), so that leaves us four and a half days for sightseeing everywhere else.

New York
reviews: 73
25. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Very good and details report, nice photos too!

Nashville, TN
reviews: 589
26. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Great trip report with many helpful details and information! I'm bookmarking this TR for my Yosemite research -- hoping for 2015. In the meantime, we are traveling to GTNP and YNP in Aug/Sept. (Thanks for the great TR there also!)

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 27
27. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Look into hiking in the Beartooths when you're in the Yellowstone area, RetiredTravelerTN! Just incredible hiking there, and all the crowds are in Yellowstone even though you're only 0-20 miles outside the park. And it's even better scenery in addition to being empty.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
28. Re: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF

I'm glad that y'all are enjoying my journals. It is nice to know that info is useful to other travelers!

Reply to: TR 6/20 – 7/2/12: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and SF
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted