We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from bay area to yosemite?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
Best route from bay area to yosemite?

We are headed for Yosemite after Easter in the Bay Area. We will be spending the night somewhere near Modesto/Manteca and then heading into the park for a couple days. Which is the recommended route to the valley, Hwy 120 or Hwy 140? I am interested in which would be the shortest time wise and which would be the best to avoid car sickness (not as many curves). Any help would be appreicated.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 37
1. Re: Best route from bay area to yosemite?

Having been a passenger on both roads, and personally driven up both, I'm going to vote for 140 as kinder to those who suffer from car-sickness. However, both definitely have curves. If you're coming from Manteca, most people would go up 120 which is the shortest. Though, 140 really won't add too much time onto your trip. I'll be curious to see what others think about the road comparison.

Have a good trip!

Northern California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
reviews: 13
2. Re: Best route from bay area to yosemite?

I've driven both at least 50 times and for sure if you want to get there quickest take 120. However, it is probably a bit more curvy (stay away from Old Priest Grade!) than 140. (The view coming into the park is much better via 120 though)

Saint Germain...
reviews: 92
3. Re: Best route from bay area to yosemite?

Oh we have our curves, but right along with that comes those stunning views! Priest Grade is a 6 mile twist up the hill. In the last two years it has been widened with rails added and is far more safe feeling. Plenty of wide pull over areas to get photos or catch your breath.

Definitely the route I would take in for my first visions of Yosemite, lasting memories. The way out, perhaps take another route.

I am willing to bet that 140 has just as many curves, but following the river it lacks the elevation that 120 has.

120 is shorter.

Have a great trip, which ever route you choose!

4. Re: Best route from bay area to yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 23, 2009