We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melb AUSTRALIA
Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

Hi eveyone,

Travelling to Yosemite in Oct with two kids, 5 and 7, have read many reviews on accomodation in Yosemite but still cannot come up with the right spot. Awahanee - too dear. Yosemite View - mixed reviews. Tanaya - bad reviews. Yosemite Village - bad revies.

Can anyone help??Would love to hear from familiies that have stayed somewhere that they loved?? Preferrably not a long drive from the park itself.

Thanks. Cheers from OZ

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

We are staying at the Yosemite Lodge this weekend with our two kids. It's right in the valley and across the valley from the Awahnee. I suggest you attempt to get reservations there. You'll be very pleased with the location. The lodge is clean and nice (at least it waslast ime we went, I'll be able to tell more next week) Also they have no TVs due to no reception in the valley so take game sif your kids are restless.

I can't imagine why anyone would give the Tenaya a bad review. I've stayed there many times. It's very nice near the south entrance so you can visit the Mariposa Grove Redwoods. They have lots of amenities and lots of programs like flashlight walks and western BBQs, bike rides etc. You can even rent bikes right on site. Two pools, one is indoors. Rooms are nice and the restaurants are good. They have a cafe for a quick cup of coffe or a sandwich.

San Diego...
reviews: 24
2. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

I have stayed with my family at Yosemite Lodge every year for the past 10 years and I have never had a problem there. No it is not the Ritz, but perfectly acceptable accomodation. It is perhaps a little overpriced for what you get, but that is to be expected because of it's location and lack of competition. If you are they type that needs pristine accomodations, it probably isn't for you. If you can accept the fact that a National Park experience is suppose to be a little rustic, then you will be comfortable there.

The location inside the Park makes it very convenient.

You may have trouble getting reservations there for October as they book up early, but keep trying back, as they do have cancellations.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 27
3. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

You and your kids are going to have a great time visitng Yosemite. If you can manage it, I would recommend stayng inthe valley, as you will have less daily driving, which is usually a good thing with kids that age!

We've been taking our family to Yosemite every year of their lives, and have stayed in all kinds of accomodations. Choice #1 would be Yosemite Lodge. You will be close to the cafeteria and restaurants, as well as ranger programs, etc. The accomodations are fine- like a nice motel room.

Choice #2 would be a hard-sided cabin w/bath at Curry Village. These are also like basic motel rooms, and Curry Village also has a restaurant, ranger/campfire programs, etc.

Choice #3 would be the Cedars or Yosemite View Lodge outside the park at El Portal. These are closest to Yosemite Valley and are both fine accomodations, with Y.V.L. edging out Cedars in reviews, but only slightly.

Tenaya Lodge is wonderful- a resort, really- with the only downside being that it is 45 minutes from Yosemite valley (although it is right next to the southern entrance to the park)

BTW, the one advantage to "outside the park" hotles is that you will have televiosion, if that's an advantage for you!

A few recommendations on what to do wiith your kids that age:

1) rent bicycles and tour the valley that way. If you can get your 5-yr-old on a 2 wheeler by Oct., they have smaller bkes for rent, but unfortunately, they don't rent bikes w/training wheels. However, the bike route is flat, easy, and very scenic. Rentals are available at Curry Village and at Yosemite Lodge.

2) See the big trees at the Mariposa Grove in Wawona. There's a tram tour that makes it easy, and it;s the biggest grove inthe park. If youstay at Tenaya Lodge, it's right next door. The grove closes inlate fall, but I think you'll get there in time.

3) if your kids don't mind walking, there's a great hike that will make them feel as though they've climbed to the top of the world. It's the hike to the top of Sentinel Dome, off of Glacier Point Road above the valley. Unless winter comes very early, the road should still be open. We took our girls up there when they were that age, and they loved it. It's only about 1.2 miles from the parking lot/trailhead, and you can see the dome as you approach it. Once you get to the top, you have a panorama that's just unbelievable. In Oct., be sure to dress in warm alyersm as it can get cold up there!

Have a great time!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
4. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

"be sure to dress in warm LAYERS"... my typing is abysmal, esp. when I get excitied...

reviews: 740
5. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

Teh Tenaya Lodge is gorgeous and very nice for a a family. Indoor pool, outdoor pool, spa, spacious grounds and complimentary bikes to use. It also has two very nice restaurants. It is a four-star destination resort in a beautiful setting. :)

California
reviews: 12
6. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

FYI I went to the reservation web site:

https:/…world_page.htm

and put in dates in October and rooms at the yosemite Lodge were available. Since I don't know your actual dates I can't be sure it would work for you but you should try it. I think the Yosemite Lodge would be a great choice for you. If you have multiple days to spend in Yosemite before you leave, you may want to do some of your days at Yosemite Lodge and then do a night at Tenaya so that you can visit the Wawona area and the Mariposa grove at the south entrace. Leaving from the south entrance is simple also.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
7. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

She's right, Ozzie- when it comes to reservations in Yosemite, soone is better than later. Go for it now!

MA
reviews: 1
8. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

We are staying at Yosemite View Lodge starting tomorrow, with our 3 kids. What we liked about it is the fact that they have an indoor pool, for "down time" with the kids. If you want a review when I return, email me at sue.morris@verizon.net. I'll be happy to tell you about it when I return.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
9. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

suebee- if you don't mind, post it here, as others will enjoy hearing about your Yosemite experiences. You can also post a hotel review on this site, if you wish!

London, United...
reviews: 34
10. Re: Hotel with Kids - Impossible?? Please help!!

I replied to a very similar forum the other day and highly recommended the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal- much much cheaper than inside the park and fabulous clean rooms with your own hot tub and kitchenette.

I understand that you have read mixed reviews on Yosemite View Lodge which I was totally surpirsed about. When we were booking our Yosemite accomodation last summer we chose the Yosemite View beacause of all the fantastic comments about it. We found they were all justified and really couldn't want anything more from the hotel. Wonderful accomodation and at a very reasonably priced. What more could you want?

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park