We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

Which Yellowstone National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Twin Cities, MN
reviews: 17
September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

Hi. We are planning to visit in September 2007 and we are just starting to plan our trip. I'm thinking we'll fly in to Bozeman or W. Yellowstone and enter Yellowstone thru the west entrance...then maybe head down to Grand Tetons and then back up to Yellowstone. Probably 6 days.

Any suggestions on where to stay and activities are appreciated. We are active travelers - we love to hike and climb. We're okay with some rustic accomodations, but we'd like to end up with someplace nice (although not to the tune of $400/night at Lake Jenny).

Thanks for any tips you can give!

Walpole...
reviews: 21
1. Re: September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

I will also be there in Sept with my wife. I cannot give you any tips so to speak because it's our first time. My insight for you is based on your planning. I picked up on your "we are just starting to plan". Let me quickly tell you what my planning looks like so far and I started at the end of October: We are flying in from Boston. My flight into Jackson Hole has two seats left on it today and has gone up $140 since I booked it. When I booked my flight it was cheaper than flying into Bozeman, Billings, and Idaho Falls! As for lodging - we are staying at the Canyon in Yellowstone. When I called there were 5 rooms left. I asked for Dunraven specifically and they said the request would be added to my reservation, but they could not tell me where my room was until I got there! We are staying at Signal Mountian Lodge in Grand Teton NP. When I called I asked for a King bed. In my price range ($150-$160) there were two beds left. I do not have a view but that's ok. I won't be in my room except to sleep. So it's now two months since I called these places and booked. My suggestion is to decide on things and get booked right now. While my experience may be different than yours, I've had to book 11 months in advance for my trip. If I waited until now - I'd have hardly any choices, if at all. We will be there the first week of September. I wish you a ton of luck getting booked. I just think you need to do it now.

EDH, CA
reviews: 35
2. Re: September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

Last September we used the Absaroka Lodge in Gardiner as our base to tour Yellowstone and moved on to Signal Mountain Lodge as our base for the Grand Tetons. Both were excellent.

When we go back, we will probably stay in the Canyon area in YS just because it is closer to the areas that we like and a little more central. If we go back to GT, we would definitely stay at Signal Mountain.

If you like hiking, I have a thread from last fall in this forum with quick trail reviews. Interestingly enough, we saw 90% of the wildlife from the roads. The hikes were relatively wildlife free but they were also people free which is a bonus.

maryland
3. Re: September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

Try Signal Mountian Lodge.--right on Jackson lake...not miles away like Jackson Lake Lodge or in the woods like Jenny Lake lodge.

The cabins are perfect--the cottages more like a hotel room but SM sits smack dab on the lake with theTetons RIGHT THERE! Spectacular.Small..only 30 rooms or so.. but two nice restaurants.beautiful gift shop..floats horseback riding,ect. You'll love it.You will not be dissapointed

In town, the only reasonable choice is the pretty Wyoming Inn of Jackson . Check it out.

Yellowstone is a bit more difficult..old inns..depends on how much time you will spend in Yellowstone.You might want to check just outside..Bar N R Ranch is very nice..210.00 a night or so in high season.September will be much less.

4. Re: September visit to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - lodging, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 28, 2009