We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

ny
reviews: 32
Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Hi All,

Just hoping someone can describe the difference between the two? Do the cabins in either area share walls with other cabins?

Is this a noisy area, (like Curry Village is to Yosemite- Did not like Curry Village!)

YSP seems more difficult to plan for as there is significantly less informaiton available. :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

West Yellowstone, MT
1. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

I am going over next weekend to do a review on the Lake area. Let me know your specific questions and I will check them out for you!

ny
2. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Hi,

Thank's for your response. I am trying to decide between the two.....We definitely don't want to stay in a noisy, crowded area and I am wondering how private the cabins are, and what I might expect if we decide to stay there.

I am looking for fellow travelers to repspond who are familair with the properties. It seems like this forum is much less visited than the Yosemite/Grand Canyon forums. I guess Yellowstone itself is less visited, which will proabably make us fall in love with it all the more.

Thanks for any help/advice you may give me about staying in the Yellowstone area...We will be there four nights and think that splitting the stay into 2 may be the best option. (2 nights/Old Faithful area 2/nights Lake Yellowstone area).

Jacksonville...
reviews: 37
3. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

We stayed in the cabins near the Lake Yellowstone hotel as the hotel as full. (did not find your other posts so did not know what the other place you were asking about) They were fine if rather basic - but you are in Yellowstone no N.Y.C. so it is appropriate. Really big enough as there were three of us and we were there in early June and it snowed so there were enough blankets and the heater worked fine. The sunroom type dining room in the hotel is great but the service is rather slow - eat one meal there just becasue the surroundings are so great. Area was quite, but we were there early in the season. I love the area, and have been there three times in the last 6 years. Go down to the Tetons if you have a chance.

ny
4. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Thanks for the reponse :)

Were the cabins noisy? Do you share a wall with a neighbor? Is there separate parking away fron the cabins?

I am just trying to determine if we would prefer the hotel or the cabins. Right now both are available.

Thanks again for your help.

Park City, UT
reviews: 26
5. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

The Lake area is not noisy or crowded. The cabins are just small two unit structures next to the hotel. Get lake view rooms in the hotel if possible, you will spend most of your time there in the hotel sitting area or dining area rather than in the cabin.

I think the Lake Lodge and those cabins were build to handle overflow from the Lake Hotel. We looked at those last time we were at the Lake Hotel, and they seemed adequate.

As I just replied in a different post, I would suggest Lake Hotel and Canyon area rather than staying at Old Faithful. You'll drive by there anyway and see the geysers and take some hikes, but I don't know why you would benefit by staying there. Just my minority opinion - lots of people want to stay at Old Faithful.

ny
6. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Thank You :)

I appreicate your taking the time to respond. :)

Jacksonville...
reviews: 37
7. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

The Lake Yellowstone Hotel cabins are the type that were built in the 40's in the national parks - basic small cabins where you drive up and park next to it. Quiet area near the Lake - the Hotel is huge and wonderful but I thought it was noisier than the cabin area because of everyone going up and down the stairs. The lovely sun-room tea room area is available to sit in and order tean or drinks if you want to relax or the weather is bad. You'll be outside most of the anyway. the cabins are basic (you'll pull up and say - Oh no, ) but once you get inside they are confortable - like all the nat'; park cabins are. I think the CCC built alot of them during the depression.

You'll only be sleeping there anyway because it stays light late and you'll be walking along the lake (one of the largest freshwater lakes in the U.S.) or out looking for animals. ( the only thing is there ins't much choice for food) It is a more quiet area than Old Faithful, but if you don't stay there be sure to go in the hotel and look around - it is amazing. When we were there it was early June and was sleeting (yes in June) and we went in and had hot chocolate and chili - my hands were freezing as I hadn't brought any gloves. Now I ALWAYS takethem when we are going out west. Pack for layers as the weather is very changable. Have FUN - love it out there!

ny
8. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Thanks for the information :)

How far are the cabins from the hotel building?

Park City, UT
reviews: 26
9. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

You ask "How far are the cabins from the hotel building?" The hotel is a rather large building along the lake shore. There is the "annex" which used to be employee housing that makes an "ell" with the hotel. The cabins are just north of the annex a very short walk.

The cabins at the Lake Lodge are a short walk from that, also.

Powhatan, Virginia
reviews: 31
10. Re: Lake Lodge Cabin or Lake Yellowstone Hotel Cabin

Every visit to YNP, I return to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. It is a quiet area anyway. Try to get a fronside room. Beautiful views of the lake. I stayed in the Lodge cabins years ago. They are like duplexes and like everything in the National Parks, pretty basic. The noisest place I found in YNP is the Old Faithful area. When we were out there in early June, they were still renovating the Inn. Seeing the equipment, I wouldn't consider staying there until the renovations are complete. Check the Yellowstone website through nps or on lodging through Xanterra. They have good descriptions and pictures of park accommodations.

Enjoy your trip!

Sandy