We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

Which Yellowstone National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brunswick
reviews: 1
Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

It looks so far on the map! Is it all that bad? I know time varies with the amount of stops for wildlife viewing but about how long does it take to drive from Cooke City to the NE entrance?

9 replies to this topic
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
1. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

It's a 5 to 10 minute drive, if that.

Billings, Montana
2. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

It is about 4 miles from Cooke City to the northeast entrance. There really aren't any places in that stretch where you would pull over to view wildlife.

Are you thinking about the distance from Cooke City to the north entrance (Gardiner, MT)?

Deb

Edited: 7:51 pm, February 19, 2014
Brunswick
3. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

Good to know it isn't as far as it looks on the map! I was thinking Cooke City through Lamar Valley and on to the Tower Jct area. Thanks!

Billings, Montana
4. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

It is 29 miles from the northeast entrance to the Tower/Roosevelt Junction. Lots of pullouts and possible wildlife sightings all along the way. You can spend hours driving the 29 miles depending on how many stops you make. Without any stops (pullouts and/or animal jams) plan on it taking a little less than a hour to drive that section.

Deb

Tacoma, Washington
5. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

To tower junction its about 30 miles....so about an hr just driving without stops. On this road you can easily have to stop because of animals in the road.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 156
6. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

I stayed in Cooke City last time and found it to be charming. Less crowded and touristy than either West Yellowstone or Gardiner. While both of those are good for some, if you want to see wildlife, I'd say stay in Cooke City. In fact there was wildlife right in town while I was there.

Edited: 2:43 pm, February 21, 2014
Hudson Valley
7. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

If you are staying in Cooke City, drive up Lulu Pass Road early in the morning - you might spot some wildlife up there. We've seen moose there multiple times.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 156
8. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

Just a note concerning Lulu Pass Road. If you are in a regular rental vehicle then your contract will have a clause in it that states you must stay on pavement. If you drive off pavement, in this case Lulu Pass Road, then you violate the terms of the contract and it voids the roadside assistance from both the rental company and usually the credit card company that most of use to supplement the insurance. If you need roadside assistance so far from a good sized town, be prepared for it to cost a ton of money and if you damage the vehicle then you will be totally responsible for the repair of those damages plus the rental costs for every day it is out of service. I'm very careful about taking a rental vehicle on gravel/dirt roads. You will see images on Google of people doing the roads around Cooke City in ATVs and motorcycles. So be very careful.

Brunswick
9. Re: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?

I had not heard of Lulu Pass Road. I will check that out. No rental worries! We have a 4 wheel drive pickup!

Reply to: Distance fron Cooke City to NEast entrance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted