We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross country skiing

newark ohio
reviews: 29
Cross country skiing

I have back country skied in Colorado with wide skis, scales on the bottom and the heal raises up and I was wondering if cross country skiing in Yellowstone is done on similar equipment? I know regular cross country skis that have a very narrow ski seem more difficult for me to do. My sons have never cross country skied but down hill ski. I am doing basic research for next winter trip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
1. Re: Cross country skiing

Where will you be skiing in Yellowstone?

A lot depends on whether you'll be skiing on groomed trails or not. If you are on groomed trails, you generally want a narrow, touring ski, since the ski needs to fit in the track and you're not too concerned about sinking into the snow. Xanterra grooms a bunch of trails in the park; you can get a map at their ski shops.

On the other hand, if you're skiing off groomed trails, you'll need the better floatation that comes from a wider ski with a metal edge. These are also better for taking turns. The snow out here is often a very fine powder and is easy to sink into. You can sink pretty are down with even a wide ski. I've had occasion to sink down a couple of feet into the snow while hiking in snow shoes, if that gives you some idea.

newark ohio
2. Re: Cross country skiing

Thanks for the information. We are in the beginning stages of plans for next Christmas. We will fly into Jackson hole, spend a few days in town, drive to Flagg ranch and take transport to Snow lodge for few days then fly back out of Jackson. I will want to ski in the Tetons, and yellowstone area. I see there are trails in the Tetons. I will collect more info on which trails ect. We will do the tour of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and my husband and sons will snow mobile. That is as far as I have on ideas but would love to pick your destination mind on where to ski, what to do. Ect. I don't know if we will down hill in J acts on it will depend on how much time we have.

newark ohio
3. Re: Cross country skiing

We loved back country skiing in steamboat at the Vista Verde ranch and would love to do some similar skiing with my sons. I think I felt more comfortable with those skis as they were most similar to downhill.

Where do we rent for skiing in the Tetons? Would you recommend renting for several days and taking them with us to the Snow lodge or rent there?

Cabin or lodge room? We like rustic! And Tower Roosevelt is our favorite cabins.

I would love to go to the Lamar valley in the winter but do not see any tours from Snow lodge. I imagine it would take a very long time to get there.

I am less interested in the Mammoth area and see they have a tour from that area to Lamar. I think we will have limited time like 7 days and I want 4 in Yellowstone so our entire time is not in a vehicle.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
4. Re: Cross country skiing

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/skiyell.htm

Scroll down to "printable ski maps" and then open each one.

For other questions, I'll ask the YNP experts to answer.

Edited: 9:47 pm, December 31, 2013
USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
5. Re: Cross country skiing

Karekey, if you go to the Trip Report Archive at the top, go down to Jan, 2013 to thbergs 8 pt trip report & photos since they did a bit of skinny skiing on their winter trip on snowcat into Old Faithful.

Edited: 4:16 pm, January 01, 2014
6. Re: Cross country skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2015