We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

Colorado Springs...
Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

I am planning a surprise family vacation and need some help. 3 families (7-9 people, 3 kids, 4 young adults, 2 active seniors). We will all be coming from different parts of the country and want to spend as much time as possible in the parks. Where should we fly in to? We are thinking of renting an RV so we can all travel together so I would love input on RV and tent camping, as well as lodges. I am guessing that we will have 5 full days in the park. Anyone have any tips or advice they could share?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
reviews: 63
1. Re: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

Hi,

Sounds fun!

When the government opens up, visit each National Park page www.nps.gov/grte and www.nps.gov/yell and visit their lodging section which will lead you to the links for the appropriate area for camping and lodging.

Five full days in the park is very little to experience everything, but folks like to devote 1/3 to GTNP and the rest to YNP. You will have to prepare yourself for a lot of driving to see the entire park.

Gateway towns can be Jackson, WY Cody, WY or Bozeman, MT, The closest gateway town to Yellowstone is West Yellowstone, MT right at the border of YNP; however, I'm not familiar with their flights. Its not a huge commercial airline hub.

In the interim, before the gov shutdown ends, its really helpful to review the FAQ on the right hand side of this page. That will give you a good start.

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 84
2. Re: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

Have you driven an RV before?

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
3. Re: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

I think it will be challenging to find a rental RV that has the required seat belts for 9.

As another option, check out a vacation rental for 9 in gateway town West Yellowstone & then use rental cars for easier visibility & mobility into the park:

http://tinyurl.com/WY-Stonerentals

More amenities for your large range in West Yellowstone.

Just another option.....

Edited: 4:42 pm, October 07, 2013
USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
4. Re: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

Hopefully, this link works better for W. Yellowstone vacation rentals for 9:

http://tinyurl.com/W-Yellowstone

If not, try this:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g45399-Revie…

5. Re: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...