We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

logistics

Which Yellowstone National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawley, Pennsylvania
reviews: 24
logistics

Hi we are just beginning to plan our 2014 summer trip to Yellowstone. We will be arriving in SLC and depending upon our arrival time will spend our first night in Kemmerer. The reason for this is we want to spend the next day digging for fossils. The next day we will head up to the Park. We are senior citizens and really don't do very long or strenuous hikes. That being said: The plan looks like this: Day one in the park, Upper Geyser basin to see Old Faithful and walk the boardwalks. Lower Geyser Basin and do the Fountain Paint pot trail. Drive to Norris Geyser Basin, see the geysers there and walk some boardwalks. The dilemma is should we go the next stop on the loop which will be Mammoth or should we call it quits for the day in Norris. We are not on any kind of time constraints and want to really see the park.

Depending upon what we complete in the first day the second would look like this: start the day in either Norris or Mammoth, and then ??? any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be flying back out of SLC. Thanks for your input. Joyce

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
1. Re: logistics

Hi Joyce and welcome to the forum. Frankly I never can get to Norris after having done Upper, Midway and Lower geyser basins in a day. I think you should call it quits then and return to your lodging.

Start day 2 with Artist Paint Pots and then Norris which would probably take half a day. Your next sightseeing point would depend on where you are spending the night.

Have you decided on where to stay or is that what you are working out now? If thats what you are thinking, I would go for the first 2 nights at Old Faithful, then move elsewhere. 3 nights would be fine too, altho some would think it too many! (Not me!!)

Pam

Edited: 7:41 pm, June 15, 2013
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
reviews: 27
2. Re: logistics

Just remember that there is more to see in the park than the thermal areas, so don't forget to save some time for them; Canyon, Lamar, Hayden Valley, Yellowstone Lake, etc. If you look at the YNP website and click on the map on the home page, you'll be able to see where things are located and can then better plan your days. www.nps.gov/yell

Have Fun!

Edited: 9:48 pm, June 15, 2013
Hawley, Pennsylvania
reviews: 24
3. Re: logistics

Thank You.. We are planning to do all of the Park. The post was just the start of the trip. You will be hearing more from me as I do some more planning. The park is so large that I am finding it difficult to get a good grasp of it. Thank .you for your input. Joyce

4. Re: logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 18, 2014