We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

Chicago
reviews: 171
Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

so, it's been awhile since i last posted in the WY forums, but now it's time for me to ask some questions...

i've never visited during high, or near high season (always after labor day and during winter)---we're coming the 2nd week in june (7 thru 14) and i hafta say i'm getting a bit of lodging sticker shock!

planned itinerary is to fly into JAC friday evening and stay fri and sat nites, and renting a car, of course. planning to see, and perhaps hike in the tetons saturday.... then, over the next 3, or so days, we plan to go to yellowstone. my plan is to stay in w yellowstone (plz don't try to convince me to stay in the park, because it's not happening, UNLESS rates are cheaper than outside the park!)... the next coupla days are open-ended right now.... i was initially thinking of going to glacier NP, but i think it's a bit of a stretch in our limited time... then, we plan to fly home, via JAC on fri....

we like to have (but not necessarily require) kitchen facilities, or at the very least, a fridge and microwave, but i'm not prepared to pay $175-200/nite, which is what the going rate looks like for even regular chain places like holiday inn etc.... that all said, what properties would you guys recommend for JAC and w yellowstone before i start making phone calls? i'm ok with mom and pop-type motels, as long as they're clean and not run-down.... i'd even consider something in cooke city/silver gate while visiting that section of the park.... we'll have our 2 young boys (7 and 5) with us..... thoughts?

thanks,

ST

Edited: 12:42 am, May 10, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
1. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

Contact the Lazy G, see what they've got.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
2. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

Jackson- Buckrail, Ranch Inn, Town Square Inns

West Yellowstone- Alpine Inn, Three Bear Lodge

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 1
3. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

I find the lodging to be cheaper inside the park, except during shoulder season.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
reviews: 19
4. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

The sights are all in the park. Consider the price of gas and what your viewing time is worth morning and evening when you calculate your true costs. And don't forget, you don't want to be driving in the dark as it is dangerous for motorist and beast alike.

ENJOY!

Chicago
5. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

thanks all for the input, i'll check out some of these properties. feel free to weigh in some more!

i've checked the different places within the park, and for what you get, IMO, the prices are way out of line.... IMO, it's worth it to burn a coupla extra gallons of gas each day to save $30-40/nite (or more?).... plus, i'm open to spending 1 or 2 nites in the silver gate/cooke city area to cut down on the driving while visiting that end of the park.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
6. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

This year's rates

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/summer-lod…

Examples

Canyon

Frontier Cabin $99.00

Lake Lodge Cabins

Frontier Cabins $115.00

Pioneer Cabins $75.00

Lake Hotel

*Standard Annex Room $150.00

*Frontier Cabin $141.00

Mammoth

*Hotel Room $123.00 $123.00

Hotel Room with Shared Bath $87.00 $87.00

Budget Cabin . $86.00

*Frontier Cabin . $130.00

Old Faithful Inn

Old House Room $140.00

*Old House Room with Shared Bath $103.00

Old Faithful Lodge Cabins

*Frontier Cabins $115.00

*Budget Cabins $69.00

Old Faithful Snow Lodge Cabins

*Western Cabin $155.00 $155.00

Frontier Cabin $99.00 $99.00

Roosevelt

*Frontier Cabin $115.00

*Roughrider Cabin ***$69.00

Most expensive of these is $155, Least $69 (plus tax of course)

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
7. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

The cabins, especially those with shared bath (i.e. a walk outside of your cabin to get to it) will be the least expensive options and also possibly the most likely to open up with last-minute cancellations. There are also some rooms w/o bath in the historic hotels (i.e. Old Faithful Inn and Mammoth Hotel) but the room configurations are not always conducive to accommodating a family of 4. Note: Cabins and hotels in Yellowstone do not have kitchen facilities and no cooking is allowed, but you may bring a cooler and snacks. You can grill in some cases (check current fire restrictions when you arrive) at picnic spots.

Alpine Inn in West Yellowstone is a great mom-and-pop motel, but extremely unlikely to be able to obtain a reservation at this point. As the #1 property on TA in West Y., they sell out well in advance and it's small enough that there are fewer cancellations than in the park.

Keep checking in the park, multiple times daily, if possible. Check this thread for info on how last-minute options do open up within the park tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k64671…

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to talk you into anything you're not comfortable with, but as Ystoner said above, there are certain accommodations within the park that are actually less expensive than in the gateway towns.

Edited: 5:33 pm, May 10, 2013
Chicago
8. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

i was on another website http://www.usparklodging.com/yellowstone/ that showed pix and descriptions of the rooms/cabins and only the very lower end rooms (1 or 2 double beds, shared bathroom, roughrider cabins, 2 person occupancy etc) were all that i saw that were reasonably priced.... ok, i gotta make some calls now....

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
9. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

Only make reservations through Xantera the concessionaire.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

or phone

Phone: 307.344.7311 or 1-866-GEYSERLAND (439-7375) Fax: 307.344.7456

Chicago
10. Re: Greater yellowstone area lodging questions

thanks to all. we reserved 2 nites (fri-sat) at the buck rail lodge in jackson. looks to be a nice place and the lady on the phone was very friendly and helpful. thanks PB!

i found the lions head campground on, believe it or not, VRBO... they were advertising a basic camping cabin for $85/nite+tax. considering the prices in the area, it didn't look bad for a place to crash and to throw together some quick eats, or grill something outside.... but as i was on the phone with the owner, i noticed they also had "deluxe" self catering cabins for $160/nite---more room(s) and beds, full kitchen and AC.... so now, i'm leaning towards the deluxe cabins for the next 3, possibly more, nites. being 7 miles out of w. yellowstone doesn't bother us----it's nice to be out away from the fray.... plus, it's a self-contained dwelling for basically the same price as a nicer motel room in town... before i book it, thoughts?

Edited: 6:36 pm, May 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...