We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping sites

San Francisco...
reviews: 6
Camping sites

Taking a trip this summer from SF home through Death Valley to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Teton then Yellowstone & home again...about 24 days. We usually tent camp & get as far from the maddening crowd as possible. This time, due to a surgery, we are taking a standard size RV & due to other commitments need to travel May 27- through end of June this summer. it will probably be our first/last trip to these parks as we are now on our "list" so to speak!!One of us will be hiking, the other just walks. I am really struggling finding pretty campsites & suspect it is the RV issue. Ive been looking at NP & Reserve America as well as AAAtour books & havent found them helpful. If anyone can direct me to a site or a book to do this I would really appreciate the help. Otherwise, tenting on crutches with knee/back issues will be really difficult & we really want to do this!! DT

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 84
1. Re: Camping sites

not my area, but another poster often gives this link

www.rvparkreviews.com

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
2. Re: Camping sites

In additon, here's a link to the campgrounds in Yellowstone:

nps.gov/yell/…camping-in-yellowstone.htm

And for campground reservations in Yellowstone:

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Half of the campgrounds in Yellowstone are first come/ first serve only. The other half take reservations. I would recommend campground reservations in Yellowstone so you simply drive to your campground for a secure campsite..

Madison campground is perfect for easy access to Old Faithful & the geyser areas. Canyon campground or Bridge Bay campground are great for easy access to Hayden & Lamar valleys for wildlife viewing.

I always use at least 2 campgrounds in Yellowstone, on different sides, since the park is so huge.

For ideas for the rest of your trip, you might want to post on the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Have fun planning!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 1
3. Re: Camping sites

Fishing Bridge campground is the only campground with hookups inside Yellowstone. The others are dry camping.

Just outside the park in West Yellowstone and Gardnier there are commercial campgrounds. There are also National Forest Service campgrounds outside all of the entrances. But of course inside the park is better and more convenient.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
4. Re: Camping sites

Site with lots of good information about RVing in and around Yellowstone.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

San Francisco...
5. Re: Camping sites

Thanks so much! We are going to try & get in the last week of May the Thursday after Memorial day & then shift from maybe Norris to Slough, 2 or 3 days each. It's not a big RV & we can dry camp. Your websites were very helpful. Well try the trip planning one.

Also we have all of June as well. Any thoughts on starting at Grand Canyon or Yellowstone first?we can do either!!

San Francisco...
6. Re: Camping sites

Thanks so much! We are going to try & get in the last week of May the Thursday after Memorial day & then shift from maybe Norris to Slough, 2 or 3 days each. It's not a big RV & we can dry camp. Your websites were very helpful. Well try the trip planning one.

Also we have all of June as well. Any thoughts on starting at Grand Canyon or Yellowstone first?we can do either!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
7. Re: Camping sites

I'd start at Grand Canyon and go north. Go to Grand Canyon first then Yellowstone. Both will get warmer as the month goes by. Warmer will be better for Yellowstone and not so much for Grand Canyon.

San Francisco...
8. Re: Camping sites

Sounds smart to start Sedona or GC first. Thanks so much !!

Bend, Oregon
reviews: 12
9. Re: Camping sites

RV to all of them and will be RVing again this summer.

GREAT resource for information is honest reviews and also gives you idea of what is out there,

what it offers, prices, locations and websties...

www.rvparkreviews.com

If you need any hints on campgrounds that have worked for us we did all the places

you are going last year...great choice of places.

Would be glad to share info if you like.

San Francisco...
10. Re: Camping sites

Thx. Would lOve to have any/all info you have! We think we want to be in most beautiful & quiet, less populated spots as my friend will be off hiking & due to op I will be mostly at campsite with my painting/photography! For this reason, I think we may need to dry camp to get away from crowds. we are hoping to get a North Rim spot at Grand Canyon and in Yellowstone, maybe 2 different sites. Any input appreciated!!!

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...