We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

Austin, Texas
reviews: 252
OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

I have a week-long trip coming up in June. I admit my mistake in perhaps waiting to late for a reservation but here is where I am at:

1. Old Faithful Inn has rooms available for 2 nights, and there is only a $1 price difference - either East Wing queens or Geyserside Queens. Any difference? I gathered Geyerside does not necessarily mean geyser view.

2. Canyon Lodge is available for 4 nights, they have Western Cabins available as well as Lodge rooms, any difference there - anyone better than the other? I like the idea of a Western Cabin but the reviews are mixed - at best.

3. Headwaters at Flagg Ranch at the far north end of Grand Teton has 3 nights available, is this a good alternative? How long does it take to drive to Yellowstone Old Faithful area? How long from Flagg down to Jackson Lake? I know mileage numbers are very different than driving times.

4. Is staying in a border town like Gardiner or West Yellowstone so bad? West Yellowstone did not look appealing to me, but some of the lodging on the bluff overlooking the River in Gardiner has some Western charm and good views - not to mention lower prices and modern amenities.

I don't mind forgoing TV, phone, internet - looking forward to the break, but I would like a nice comfortable bed and a quiet location and something with character would be nice. Any lodging tips based on my 4 questions above are greatly appreciated.

Its going to be 71 degrees here in Austin, if anyone heads this way I've got lots of local tips! Cheers.

Burlington, Iowa...
reviews: 13
11. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

Not sure when you were last at Canyon, Adventuritis but they were doing major remodeling in the lounge/restaurant section of Canyon last summer/fall. Hopefully they've updated it, it needed it for sure! :)

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
12. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

It was September 2012. We had to walk around a lot of yellow caution tape! I agree, it sure needed whatever it is they were doing!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 252
13. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

Craig S mentioned a trail from Canyon cabins so its just a 1/2 mile from the cabins to the rim? Is this a safe trail, do I need bear spray?

Everyone thanks for the feedback, its immensely helpful. I went ahead and booked what Xanterra had left, I now have OFI geyerside and Canyon Lodge Western Cabin reserved. During my travel dates there really were not that many others left, Roosevelt was not even open for the season until June 8th.

La Jolla, California
reviews: 64
14. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

We stayed at Western Cabin at Canyon and I thought it was great, going in with the right expectations. The rooms were comy and clean, pretty basic, but I'm a wuss and I liked it. The trail to the rim is cool and our cabin was right near it. We did take our bear spray, did I mention I'm a wuss? But the only critters we saw down by the cabins were three bison in the road, as we returned from dinner one night.

My dad was with us and the other in park accomodation he had was the OFI geyserside. So you are replicating our accomodations. We were very pleased with the choices.

Make your dinner reservations at OFI and I think Canyon, too right? Only individuals with hotel reservations can make them at this point.

15. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

The 1/2 mile trail to the canyon is through the woods and is also pretty popular and it would be a rare occasion that a bear would be spotted on it. If you plan on doing any other longer hikes I would recommend gettng bear spray, but if this trail is all that you'll be doing then you probably don't need it. However, whether you get the spray or not is totally dependant on your comfort level. It will cost about $50 and is non-refundable, for safety reasons.

16. Re: OFI room choice, Canyon Lodge and alternatives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 16, 2014