We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone first time visitors

Mandurah, Australia
reviews: 30
Yellowstone first time visitors

G'day all,

I have read so much it is doing my head in so I thought to go straight to my questions and apologise if it has already been answered. We are two Aussie couples in our late fifties. As you can imagine, travelling half way around the world needs lots of planning. We are going to spend the first 2 weeks of Sept in Canada (hiring an RV). We will then head to USA for the final 2 weeks ending up flying out of Francisco. After reading many, many opinions and looking at innumerable websites, it seems as if, timewise, we would be best to fly out of Calgary to Salt Lake City and hire a car from there. (Hiring another RV does not seem a good idea from what I have read). All say one must spend at least 4 days in Yellowstone. As this is one of our dream destinations, we are happy to take that advice.

It also seems that the general consensus is that staying in the park itself has more cons than pros so I also read opinions of accommodation on the outskirts of Yellowstone. It also seems that many people spend 2 days on one side and then 2 days on the other side. If we approach from Salt Lake City, what side do we approach from? Any good accommodation in that area? If I could figure out the area then I can look at peoples opinions.

My next question is, where to go if we go to another side for two days? What is the best area and what is is called?

Sorry to be verbose but I really need your expert opinions. When we travelled to Italy/Greece two years ago, the trip advisor forums were an absolute godsend so I will thank anyone who replies in advance.

Mandurah, Australia
reviews: 30
21. Re: Yellowstone first time visitors

Many thanks to all for answering my questions. Thanks to all the contributors on Tripadvisor, we are all set up and booked for Yellowstone etc. Just got in on time for some of them! Good to know the bears will not be particularly interested in a chubby Aussie but I will still make sure I stay in the middle of our group ;).

Kind regards

Lynne

22. Re: Yellowstone first time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...