We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Please

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 7
Itinerary Help Please

Hello,

This summer my family will be doing our first Yellowstone trip. We will be coming from Fort Worth, staying two nights in Estes Park and arriving in Yellowstone July 01. I have made the following reservations:

July 01 - Arrive in Yellowstone Grant Village Lodge

July 02-05 Tent Camping at Canyon Campground

July 06 Leave Yellowstone :(

I would really appreciate if any suggestions can be given on things to do based on our location and things for the teenagers not to get bored. I have been reading the forum and the top questions posted here. We are a group of 7 travelers: 3 adults, a 16 yr daughter, 15 yr son, 8 yr old son, and 6 yr old nephew. We like to hike and it would be awesome if we would get the chance to see wolves. Also, do you think a whitewater rafting trip is doable during one of those days? How early/late can we leave the park to go to Jackson Hole for the trip? Planning on buying binoculars (two sets), just order Yellowstone Treasures, and counting down the days for this trip. I welcome and appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Claudia

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
reviews: 26
1. Re: Itinerary Help Please

If you want to go on a whitewater raft trip, I'd suggest spending your first night in Jackson rather than at Grant Village. That would give you time to do some sightseeing in GTNP on the 1st,.You could then schedule a morning raft trip on the Snake River on the 2nd, and head to Canyon after that.. Some good companies that operate out of Jackson are Dave Hansen and Mad River. Barker-Ewing also gets good reviews, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
2. Re: Itinerary Help Please

" Planning on buying binoculars (two sets),"

This article might provide guidance re: the above.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 296
3. Re: Itinerary Help Please

Barker Ewing does a great job with both scenic float and whitewater rafting. We've used them and highly recommend them.

There was a recent post about wolves in the park- link here-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k61561…

Younger kids might like to do the JR Ranger program in the park.

Enjoy your trip planning!!

Fort Worth, Texas
4. Re: Itinerary Help Please

Thanks for your replies. The planning part is always so fun, but it can be overwhelming sometimes.

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
5. Re: Itinerary Help Please

Canyon CG has incredible ranger presentations- lively powerpoints at the amphitheater each night. They are geared to reach a range from small children to intellectuals wanting scientific info. I have been amazed at the info in all that i have seen. There will be a list each week of topics. Dress very warmly!!

I always recommend Storm Point 2 mile loop trail east of Fishing Bridge for kids. There is a marmot village, the lake with beach, easy trail.

Cameras for the kids are a big plus!

Edited: 9:17 pm, February 24, 2013
Spery, Iowa
reviews: 84
6. Re: Itinerary Help Please

<How early/late can we leave the park to go to Jackson Hole for the trip?>

If this means you plan to take a day trip from YNP to do a river trip, keep in mind you do not want to drive in the park in the dark.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

I would agree with the suggestion to do this ahead of coming into Yellowstone.

You might get Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple and have everyone read it and pick what they want to fit it. You don't have a lot of time, and I'm betting you need to fit in some ice cream breaks in your daily plans?

(BTW, I am heading to Fort Worth in May, so I will pm you for info on your area!)

Fort Worth, Texas
7. Re: Itinerary Help Please

Well, it's settle, we are staying in Jackson the first night and doing the whitewater rafting the next day. I booked the trip with Barker Ewiing. When we are done with that we will head out to Yellowstone. I called Xenterra because I had a question on the tent size and the lady I talked to recommended doing the Roosevelt old west dinner cookout. Is this something worth doing? Thanks again for all your recommendations and advise.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 1
8. Re: Itinerary Help Please

Roosevelt Cookout is fun especially for kids. Take a horse drawn wagon out away from everything. Usually see wildlife going and coming. Ribeye steaks and fixin's, plenty to eat and good. You get entertained by a singing cowboy. You can also book a horseback ride to and from. In bad weather you take the wagon.

9. Re: Itinerary Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 20, 2014