We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

San Jose, California
reviews: 2
7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

My family of four with two kids, 5 and 12 will go on a 7-night trip in the 1st week of July, 2013. We will fly into SLC on 7/3 evening and fly out of SLC on 7/10 at noon. I booked 7/6 at Canyon, 7/7 at Old Faithful lodge. I plan to have 7/5 in Yellowstone as well, but did not find a suitable lodge in OF and Canyon yet, still waiting... Should I also consider another location in the park? Any help with detail itinerary will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I love to travel.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
1. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

I'd be glad to do a detailed itinerary for you once you've got your lodging set. I'm guessing you are staying in SLC 7/3? Where are you staying 7/4? I would try to get 7/5 at Canyon too, just so you don't have to move every night. What about 7/8? Again, I assume you are staying 7/9 in SLC?

Pam

San Jose, California
2. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Pam,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I read the posts in this forum before booking my flight. I am thinking about the following plan, but willing to make changes per your suggestion:

7/3 in SLC

7/4 in Jackson or near Grand Teton

7/5 in Canyon Cabin (just booked)

7/6 in Canyon Cabin (booked)

7/7 in Old Faithful lodge (booked)

7/8 maybe in Jackson, Grand Teton, or West Yellowstone?

7/9 near SLC

7/10 noon flying back home

Friends mentioned Arch national park is pretty good too. Should I or do I have time to make a visit this time?

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
3. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Don't have time for Arches imo. You will just begin to see YNP and the GTNP in this amount of time.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
4. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

OK, I see. Well, you can do either Jackson or West Yellowstone or a second night at Old Faithful so you can cut down on moving one day. You could leave after lunch on 7/9 and get to SLC in plenty of time for your evening prior to departure. If you stayed 7/8 at Old Faithful, on the morning of 7/9 you could go out the West entrance and do the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center, have lunch in West Yellowstone and head for SLC out US 20 to Idaho Falls. (Nothing to see in Idaho Falls, the *falls* are really a non-event.)

I agree with PeachBelle. Arches is really neat, but a different trip or more days than you currently have available. Arches in July is also pretty hot.

Pam

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
5. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

YNP and GTNP will take all of your time.

Arches is just one of several fantastic parks in S. Utah. That trip is worth a whole week unto itself. And yes, it will be a hot trip, but save it for another time so you don't short yourself on this adventure. For your future planning...

Utah & SW

http://www.nps.gov/state/ut/

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

Binoculars, in addition to cameras, will help to see more distant wildlife on this trip.

You might read some of the articles, upper right, "Top Questions...".

San Jose, California
6. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Thanks for suggestion on 7/8. I like it. If we don't get a room in OF. I will choose to stay at West Yellowstone on 7/8 night.

I am wondering whether I will have enough time in Grand Teton (one night on 7/4 before getting into Yellowstone). Is there anything worthy checking out in SLC? It is our first trip to this area. Thanks.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
7. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Well, you will have about 2 half days in Grand Tetons. The afternoon when you get there and then the next morning. You can probably do a rafting trip if the family is interested in the AM before you head up to Yellowstone. Your time is pretty short, so I would opt to spend as much time in Yellowstone as you can rather than taking time out to visit SLC. Of course that is a highly biased opinion since Yellowstone is my favorite place!

Let me think about your itinerary for a while and I will post a detailed one in a bit.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
8. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Itinerary for LoveTravel

2 kids, 5 and 12

7/3 in SLC

7/4 in Jackson or near Grand Teton

7/5 in Canyon Cabin (just booked) Tour Grand Teton in the AM, perhaps a raft trip or a hike. Enter Yellowstone after lunch. Stop at West Thumb Geyser Basin for a short walk and stretch. Continue north beside Yellowstone Lake. Turn right at Fishing Bridge and go the the small Visitor Center here to get the information for the Jr. Ranger Program. When you come back across Fishing Bridge, park and walk across looking for wildlife. Rejoin the Loop road heading North. Stop at LeHardy Rapids and Mud Volcano. Continue North thru Hayden Valley, stopping if you see anyone with large camera lenses or spotting scopes. Get checked in at Canyon, then go to the Visitor Center. I don’t think you will have time to do any of the Canyon overlooks this afternoon, but if you do, go for it.

7/6 in Canyon Cabin (booked) This morning, do the Canyon overlooks. If the kids get tired, the easiest one to access if Artist Point on the South rim. It is a level, paved path out to it. From Canyon, head west to Norris Geyser Basin and do the boardwalks in the Back Basin and Porcelain Basin. Take the side road to Virginia Cascade on the way back. If you want to while you are at Norris, go over to the Campground and look at the small Museum of the National Park Ranger.

7/7 in Old Faithful lodge (booked) Today, head North from Canyon over Dunraven Pass. Stop at Tower Fall (flush toilets). At Tower Roosevelt Jct, turn right and head out into Lamar Valley. Go at least to Soda Butte, then turn around. Again, look for big camera lenses and spotting scopes. At Tower Roosevelt Jct, turn right toward Mammoth. At Mammoth, do the Lower Terraces. The best bathrooms here are the new ones between the gas station and the bus parking lot near the Lower Terrace parking. Head South from Mammoth toward Norris. On the right as you climb up out of Mammoth, turn right in to the Upper Terrace Drive and do this short loop then continue South. At Norris, continue around toward Madison Jct. There are nice flush toilets here if anyone needs a pit stop. As you leave Madison, you cross the Gibbon River Bridge, then turn right into the Firehole Canyon Dr. Rejoin the main road. You will come to several geyser basins, which I would skip until tomorrow. At this point I would go directly to the Upper Geyser Basin. At this point it will probably be mid-afternoon, and usually I advise people to go to the Visitor Center first. In this instance, I recommend you go directly to the Old Faithful Inn (not Lodge) and get ice cream on the first floor and take it up to the 2nd floor deck to eat it overlooking the geyser basin. I recommend you spoil your dinner if necessary to get the ice cream in.

7/8 Basing this on you staying at Old Faithful for the night, but easy to do if you have to go out to West Yellowstone for lodging. First thing this morning, go to the Visitor Center. There is usually a ranger-led tour at 830 which is really interesting. If they have the eruption times for predicted geysers up on the board, write them down on the brochure available at the desk for 50cents. Try and do your walk thru the basin so you can catch some of these. I usually walk around behind Old Faithful and across the bridge to Geyser Hill which is the way the ranger tour goes. Then I walk down the geyser basin on the boardwalks to Morning Glory Pool (pit toilet here) and back up to the main area on the paved path. I like to eat lunch at the Lower General Store, nice 50’s type diner feel. It is the first place you come to on the way back from Morning Glory. This afternoon, hop in your car. Head out to the loop road and in the direction of Madison Jct. Stop at Midway Geyser Basin, then north again to the Firehole Lake Dr. On this drive, if there is anyone standing about at Great Fountain Geyser, stop. It is spectacular to see in eruption. Next do Fountain Paint Pots, the entrance of which is directly across from the exit of Firehole Lake, but you cant go straight across, so turn left or right and go to the next turnaround (not far in either direction) and come back. If anyone needs a pit stop, I advise going to Madison for flush toilets. After Fountain Paint Pots, either return to Old Faithful area OR head to Madison and out the West entrance road to West Yellowstone. I strongly recommend another ice cream session on the 2nd floor deck.

7/9 If you have stayed at OF last night, take a last look around the basin then head toward Madison and out the West gate this morning. Your kids may enjoy the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery center and/or Imax theater in West before you head west on US 20 to Idaho Falls and then down I15 to SLC.

7/10 noon flying back home

BTW, just because you have an itinerary doesn't mean you have to stick to it if something more interesting comes up (mama bear and cubs, wolves, pikas (lol), awesome geyser eruption, etc). It's just a guide to head you in a direction from your lodging with an indication of what you might see for the day. something else may work better for your family.

Pam

San Jose, California
9. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

Dear Pam,

Thank you very much for an excellent detail itinerary for the trip. I will use it as a guide for sure. I apologized not getting back to you sooner. I was busy in last two days.

I was able to secure a room inside Grand Teton and hope it will save me some time to just surface GT. I will try to spend as much time in Yellowstone as possible. I could not find a reasonable room in OF for 7/8 yet, but will keep looking.

Again, thank you very much for the detail itinerary. It made me feel like in the park already.

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 80
10. Re: 7-night Yellowstone/Grand Teton Summer Trip itinerary help

for lodging- just keep checking Xanterra- on-line often and during the day calling. not everything is on-line and cancellations happen all the time. Good luck- looks like a great trip!