We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

Apple Valley...
reviews: 10
YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

Hi Guys!

Trip is back on, Hubby started a new job and wasn't sure if he would get any time off in the summer. I told him to try for a week at the end of June and he lucked out! YAY! Anyhow, this is what I have for now.

6/15 will be a travel day, Cody is approx 950 miles from home. We will drive as far as we can and finish the drive to Cody the following morning.

6/16 arrive Cody - Museum, maybe rodeo. or chuckwagon

6/17 onto YNP via Beartooth Highway -

I have to start back home on Saturday the 22nd, so how best to divide my time between Northern YNP, Southern (Old Faithful), and GTNP/Jackson Hole?

Where to stay for Northern portion of YNP? Mammoth Hot Springs, Canyon Village, or Lake Village? The boy wants to volcanic activity (I know, he's 10), animals, some light hiking. How many days?

I will have additional questions, but I think this will help with the timeline. I always feel most comfortable having that nailed down first. :)

Thanks!

Dawn

Burlington, Iowa...
reviews: 13
1. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

Here is my sort of first attempt at an itinerary. I'm sure Pam will chime in and correct me :)

6/17 drive Beartooth, through Lamar and on to Mammoth

Explore Mammoth Terraces

Stay Mammoth

(if you are going through Cooke City around lunch, make sure to get cheesecake from Buns and Beds!)

6/18 Head south and do geyser basins along the way, skip Norris

Stay Old Faithful

6/19 Finish geyser basins, possible short hike to Lonestar?

trip up to Norris if there's time

Stay at Old Faithful

6/20 Head to Canyon

stop at Norris

Explore Canyon area

Stay Canyon

6/21 Head south (stop at Canyon for rainbow picture if you want to stay around until around 10)

Mud volcano

west thumb

explore tetons, hike or take ferry to hidden falls (may not be time)

stay at the tetons

6/22 head home

another option would be to stay at Canyon two nights instead of Old Faithful. I figured the young boy would like the geyser basins more than the canyon. It does rush your time in Canyon a little though.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
2. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

JenMarie, I think your suggested itinerary looks great! And as long as you are in Yellowstone, there is no *incorrect* itinerary!

Pam

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
3. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

On 6/17, I would drive from Cody via Belfry to Red Lodge (1 hr. approx,) then drive the whole length of the Beartooth into the park, rather than just take the Chief Joseph Hwy to merely the west end of the Beartooth. The beauty of the Beartooth is further east & northeast.

byways.org/explore/byways/2281/travel.html

Have fun planning! Great itinerary jen!

Edited: 2:22 pm, December 10, 2012
Burlington, Iowa...
reviews: 13
4. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

Very true, but there can be good and not so good ways to divide up their time :) Thanks for your approval!

My only issue was no way to fit a drive from Rosie to Canyon over Dunraven, maybe on their next trip ;)

While I agree with denalicat that the best scenery would be coming down from Red Lodge, I LOVE the Sunlight Basin so I never miss a drive over Cheif Joseph if I can help it!

Edited: 2:27 pm, December 10, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
5. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

Here is a link to the most popular places to visit in the park- you will have a great time and your son will love all the wildlife and geologic wonders-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Be sure and bring a cooler with snacks and water and if you want a nice Christmas suggestion ask for the book Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple. It is an excellent guide to travel in Yellowstone.

6. Re: YNP/GTNP - Questions, lodging help, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 18, 2013