We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Which Yellowstone National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 5
Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

I'd appreciate any opinions/suggestions on my travel plans, including lodging- family of 4, trip planned for early June.

Day 1- arrive SLC, drive to Moab

2-3 Arches and Canyonlands

4- Vernal, UT

5- Grand Teton

6- Yellowstone (Old Faithful Frontier Cabin)

7-9 Yellowstone (Canyon Lodge)

10- hotel somewhere on way to SLC

11- arrive SLC early, fly home

I'd like to fit it in Beartooth Hwy even if we drive to the pass and turn around, as well as all the "biggies" at Yellowstone. It's a first trip here for all of us. I've gotten a lot of good info from this site- thanks in advance for your comments.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 1
1. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

From Arches to Jackson is around 500 miles, even by way of Vernal, which is not the most direct route. So you should be able to do that in 1 day on day #4.

The Beartooth generally open Memorial Day weekend, so you're probably ok coming in early June. But it sometimes closes off-and-on in early June due to late snowfall and ice, so check before you set out.

Edited: 7:25 pm, October 18, 2012
Ohio
2. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Maybe we should leave that night's lodging open, drive as far as we can and then spend the night at the outskirts of GT. That way if we needed to finish up Arches or wanted to stop at Dinosaur NM we could do so, or even bypass it altogether. And that would also give us more time at GT; thanks for your input.

North Shore of MA
reviews: 3
3. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Ever think of a multi-city flight plan? Fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and fly out of Jackson Hole (the airport is actually in the park).

Or, better yet, visit only Yellowstone and Grand Teton on this trip (Fly into Bozeman, MT, rent a car and fly out of Jackson Hole.

Then, plan a future trip to include Utah's parks (There are more national parks in Utah than in any other state except Alaska) - Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion. You might also include the Grand Canyon in that itinerary. Although not national parks, Cedar Breaks (because its up high, a snowball fight in June is a possibility) and Dinosaur might also be interesting. When we hiked the Grand Canyon with our students, we always stopped at Glen Canyon to spend the day at the beach on Lake Powell.

There is certainly plenty to do in Yellowstone and the Tetons to fill your itinerary. Might I suggest going to YNet for help and advice from experts on your specific itineraries in the park? .

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 54
4. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

I'd be happy to help you work out a daily Yellowstone itinerary. If you decide to stick with the days you have outlined above for Yellowstone, working in Beartooth will be a long day of driving at the expense of something in Yellowstone, but it is your vacation!

Let me know if you want a detailed itinerary!

Lesandjill, welcome to the TA Yellowstone forum.

Pam

North Shore of MA
reviews: 3
5. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Hi Pam,

I don't know about pumfamily, but I would certainly be interested in seeing your Yellowstone-Grand Teton itinerary. As you probably know, there is no place I'd prefer to be than the Greater Yellowstone-Grand Teton area. Now that I am retired, I try to visit "clusters" of natonal parks each year. "The bride" and I were last in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons two falls ago, but can't get enough of these majestic parks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
6. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Actually, I just do itineraries for Yellowstone. As close as it seems, I never seem to get down to Grand Teton! I like to do itineraries based out of wherever people plan to stay, it is easier to get them set for getting in what they want to see and do. My suggestions tend to be fairly detailed which some people want and some people don't want!

Pam

Ohio
7. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Yes I would love if you could help me with the itinerary!! I have revised things a little so here's an updated plan- but certainly not set in stone.

June 8- fly to slc, drive to Moab

June 9-10 Moab and Canyonlands

June 11 finish Moab or drive early toward Jackson

June 12 reservation at OF Cabins

June 13 reservation at Canyon cabin but OF Frontside is avail at considerably higher cost

June 14 no reservations yet but can get Canyon lodge (waiting on Canyon cabin to open up)

June 15 reservation at frontier cabin at Canyon

June 16 either somewhere in GT or W. Yellowstone

June 17 drive toward SLC

June 18 fly home

We'd like to do moderate hikes, and I'd like to fit in at least a part of the Beartooth Highway if possible, but not sure if that's wasting too much of our time on the road, and there are no vacancies at Roosevelt to make for a closer drive. We could easily add another day to the end of the trip and may be able to add on at the beginning which would let us spread out some of the driving and maybe get to GT sooner.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

Ohio
8. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Yes I would love if you could help me with the itinerary!! I have revised things a little so here's an updated plan- but certainly not set in stone.

June 8- fly to slc, drive to Moab

June 9-10 Moab and Canyonlands

June 11 finish Moab or drive early toward Jackson

June 12 reservation at OF Cabins

June 13 reservation at Canyon cabin but OF Frontside is avail at considerably higher cost

June 14 no reservations yet but can get Canyon lodge (waiting on Canyon cabin to open up)

June 15 reservation at frontier cabin at Canyon

June 16 either somewhere in GT or W. Yellowstone

June 17 drive toward SLC

June 18 fly home

We'd like to do moderate hikes, and I'd like to fit in at least a part of the Beartooth Highway if possible, but not sure if that's wasting too much of our time on the road, and there are no vacancies at Roosevelt to make for a closer drive. We could easily add another day to the end of the trip and may be able to add on at the beginning which would let us spread out some of the driving and maybe get to GT sooner.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
9. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

In real life it easily takes 10 hours to drive between Moab and Jackson I'd prefer the route you mentioned in your OP. Take 128 out of Moab to Cisco and I70 and drive through Co back to Utah to Vernal and visit Dinosaur Quarry. Then next day via beautiful Flaming Gorge to Rock Springs and on to Jackson. Visit GTNP before Yellowsfotne and drive back to SLC from West Yellowsftone.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
10. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches Itinerary

Here is a suggestion for your Yellowstone days. As always, just because you have an itinerary doesn't mean you have to stick to it if something more interesting comes up (mama bear and cubs, wolves, awesome geyser eruption, etc). It's just a guide to head you in a direction from your lodging with an indication of what you might see for the day.

June 12 - Today, I would spend most of the day in Grand Tetons, planning to arrive at Old Faithful late in the afternoon. You do need to make sure you get here before dark. If you have time you can do West Thumb Geyser Basin on your way in. It's a good place to stop and stretch anyway. If you get to Old Faithful before the Visitor Center Closes, take a look around. You will probably be able to see at least one OF eruption this evening. You might be able to catch a Ranger program late this afternoon or this evening. Overnight at OF cabins

June 13 - Make this your Geyser Day. Start at the Visitor Center, perhaps do the Ranger-led walk at 830. Walk around behind OF and down to Morning Glory Pool (vault toilet down here) on the boardwalk and back up toward Old Faithful on the paved walkway. Check at the Visitor Center and see if they have any eruption times for the predictable geysers. After you finish here, hop in the car and head out to the Loop Road going North. Stop at Midway Geyser Basin, drive Firehole Lake Drive, pick up Fountain Paint Pots (the exit from Firehole Lake Dr is right across from the entrance to Fountain paint Pots, but you can't go straight across. Turn left or right, go to the next pull-out and turn around.) and head toward Madison Jct. Just before you reach Madison, turn left in to Firehole Canyon Dr. which heads back south for a couple of miles. Rejoin the Loop road and make your way to whichever place you have decided to stay, either back to OF or on to Canyon. In any event, there are flush toilets at Madison Jct so definitely stop there if you are headed to Canyon. Overnight at OF or Canyon (I would probably go with Canyon)

June 14 - Make this your Canyon Day. Stop at the Visitor Center. (Nice flush toilets, lol) Head south on the Loop Road, doing the North rim viewpoints (if only one, I like Brink of the Upper Falls) and the South rim (Artist Point is the easiest access on both rims.) Return to the Loop Road. Go South through Hayden Valley stopping if you see people out with cameras with long lenses or spotting scopes. Continue South picking up Mud Volcano, then go to Fishing Bridge. Park and walk across Fishing Bridge as this area is rich in wildlife. I’ve been able to spot otters, golden eagle, muskrat, white pelican from here. Head back north and do LeHardy Rapids, then north again thru Hayden and back to Canyon. If you want to do a hike in the area, there are several plus a number of Ranger-led hikes. Overnight at Canyon

June 15 - If you want to do Beartooth, this would be the day for it. Head north from Canyon over Dunraven Pass. At Tower Roosevelt Jct, turn right and go out thru Lamar Valley, then out the NE entrance. Head up over Beartooth and either go to Red Lodge for lunch or make your turn around point at Rock Creek Vista. Retrace your steps. I would probably not stop at Tower Fall or overlooks (unless it is wildlife watching!!) within Yellowstone on your way to Beartooth Highway, but would pick them up on the way back. Overnight at Canyon

June 16 - Today I would head North over Dunraven again, doing Tower Fall area today if you did not get to it yesterday. At Tower Roosevelt Jct, head toward Mammoth. Drive back in to Petrified Tree (sometimes some black bear back in here) and do Blacktail Plateau Dr (this is dirt/gravel, so you want to take in to consideration your rental car contract). Go on to Mammoth. The best bathrooms are the new ones next to the bus parking lot and the gas station. Stop at the Visitor Center. If you are interested do the walking tour of Old Ft Yellowstone, then head up to the Lower Terraces. From here, head South toward Norris. As you climb up out of Mammoth, make sure you do the Upper Terrace Drive on the right. Head to Norris, stopping here if you have time, as well as Artist Paint Pots, again, if you have time. Overnight at West Yellowstone (I agree with Tet that West Yellowstone would be better for your last night in the area rather than back to Jackson)

Have fun and let me know if you have questions!

Pam