We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which Yellowstone National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kennesaw
Itinerary help

We are flying into Bozeman on Thursday and then driving to West Yellowstone for two nights. We plan to get up early Friday morning and go to Old Faithful and other geysers. Saturday morning we will leave early for Jackson Hole. We plan to go to Jenny Lake that day and do some hiking. Sunday we have a float/raft trip planned. Monday we will drive to Cody to go to the rodeo. We would like to do spend some time in Yellowstone on the way. Tuesday we are going to drive the Beartooth Pass and we'll end up in Canyon where we will spend two nights at the western cabin. Wednesday and Thursday we would like to explore more of Yellowstone. We will spend Thursday night in West Yellowstone and leave Friday to fly out of Bozeman. I wanted to ask for suggestions on how you would plan to spend each day in the park. It will be me, my husband and my 23 year old daughter. We are usually very active and like to go all day. The only problem is I fractured my ankle 4 weeks ago so I won't be able to go as hard as usual. If you know of some easier hikes too that would be helpful.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
1. Re: Itinerary help

So sorry about your ankle! I hope your doc has you in a walking cast. Here is a link to the park brochure to wheelchair accessibility. That doesn't apply to you, but the maps of each area will give you an idea of where there are stairs or steep grades you might encounter on foot.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

I would be happy to do a daily itinerary for you! I will be away from the computer for a couple of hours but will post later this afternoon or this evening. (Old Timers Day in our town, dontcha know!) Didn't want you to think you were being neglected. Others may chime in with itineraries as well!

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
2. Re: Itinerary help

Pam is great and will give you detailed daily trip plans.

Eat breakfast at Running Bear Pancake House in West Yellowstone for the best pancakes in the world!!

Here is a link to the must sees for YNP-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

The rodeo and the museums are great in Cody- you will enjoy!!

If time I would try and at least drive down into the Grand Tetons for a few hours- but just depends on your schedule- they are awesome!!!

Enjoy your trip!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
3. Re: Itinerary help

OK, here is one itinerary suggestion:

Thursday: Arrive in Bozeman, overnight in West Yellowstone

Friday: You are correct, this would be a good geyser day. Make sure you do Firehole Canyon Drive (on the way to Old Faithful) and Firehole Lake Dr on the way back out to West Yellowstone. I usually recommend people go directly to Old Faithful and do the other geyser basins on your way back to West Yellowstone. The reason for this is that there are some spectacular geysers in the Old Faithful area. If you give yourself enough time, you can perhaps see them.

Sat: To Jackson

Sun: Jackson

Mon: You can do West Thumb geyser basin on the way back thru the park. When you get to Fishing Bridge, park and walk across and look for wildlife. Try to get to Cody early enough to do their wonderful museum complex. Overnight in Cody

Tues: Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and Beartooth Pass. When you re-enter the park you will come thru Lamar Valley. Stop if you see folks with long camera lenses or spotting scopes. Overnight in Canyon

Wed: You can work the area from Canyon down to Fishing Bridge. If you want an easy hike, do the one back to Natural Bridge. It is on an old road bed so is fairly level and pretty easy. If you want to do the hike at Mud Volcano, I think it is easier if you start on the left hand trail and wind up by Dragons Mouth. I am not 100% sure about this, but I think the sign at the parking lot tells you which way is the easiest. Overnight in Canyon

Thurs: I would head north over Dunraven stopping at Tower Fall and other overlooks if you didn't have time on Tuesday. Turn left toward Mammoth. Do Petrified Tree (sometimes some bears back in there.) then head toward Mammoth again. Do Blacktail Plateau Dr., again heading to Mammoth after you exit. Do the Lower Terrace boardwalk, then drive the Upper Terraces. The better set of bathrooms are the new ones by the bus parking lot and the gas station. The others are in the basement of the VC and are not easy to get down to. With your ankle, definitely use the new ones! From Mammoth, go South toward Norris. Sheepeater Cliff has a very easy walk along the river, maybe just 1/2 a mile or so if you are not too pooped from the Lower Terraces. Tour Norris as you have the time and energy. IIRC there are some benches at the top overlooking Porcelain Basin if you don't feel like walking down and the others do. Overnight in West Yellowstone

Friday: To Bozeman

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
4. Re: Itinerary help

Again- didn't have my reading glasses on and so missed that you were going to Jackson and spend the night- so you will get to see the awesome mountains in the Grand Tetons.

kennesaw
5. Re: Itinerary help

Thank you for the itinerary. I have an aircast and can wear hiking boots over it so I'm hoping to do as much as possible. Are there any hikes we shouldn't miss? Do you have any suggestions about the Beartooth and what to stop and see? Also which would be the best day to do Hayden Valley. I have been reading this forum for months but still am a little mixed up. I think I just don't want to miss anything. Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
6. Re: Itinerary help

Wednesday you will go thru Hayden going from Canyon to Fishing Bridge. You would also be able to head to Hayden on Monday when you come in from the South, (Hayden is just north of Fishing Bridge), or Tuesday when you get to Canyon from your Beartooth drive or Thursday morning you could also take a quick spin thru Hayden before you turn around and head North to Mammoth area. Many opportunities to see if anything is poking it's nose out in Hayden! Frankly, the more you drive thru Hayden, the better your chances will be!

For Beartooth, just stop when you see something gorgeous. Look for skiers and Mtn goats!

The air cast is good. You might need to bring something to ice it down at night if that is recommended by your physician. Also ask if you should wear compression stockings on the airplane. (A lovely complement to any outfit, lol!!)

Hike-wise, I would see how you do, especially after your Friday geyser day. Most people don't realize how much they will walk on the geyser boardwalks.

Pam

kennesaw
7. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks again for your quick response. Good idea about he compression stocking although I think my daughter will be mortified. We will get into Bozeman around 10:00 in the morning. We plan to stop at Walmart and get picnic supplies and bear spray if you think we'll need it. We have plenty of time to do something that day. I had different ideas . One was to go to Big Skye, another to go to Mesa Falls and another to go to the ghost towns. Do you think any of those ideas would be doable or do you have abetter idea?

Albany, New York
reviews: 29
8. Re: Itinerary help

Too bad we will not be traveling on the same day macy892, I will be wearing a LOVELY compression stocking as well and we could have been HIDEOUS together on the plane!!!! LOL. Unfortunately, with flying and blood clots it IS necessary,for me anyway!!! Have a great trip!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
9. Re: Itinerary help

I ~think~ they make compression stockings in black, so they are not as noticeable as the lovely white ones.

If you land in Bozeman at 10 ish, you will probably want to eat lunch there before you head south. Big Sky is on your way. You could also divert to Quake Lake which is just before West Yellowstone, turn right on 287. There is a visitor center and you can look at the huge slide from the earthquake of 1959.

visitmt.com/listing/…

If you wanted to get in another state, you can get to West Yellowstone by going west from Quake Lake to 87, heading south in to Idaho past Henrys Lake, deadending into 20 and turning Left to go to West Yellowstone.

In West Yellowstone you could do the Imax theater and/or the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center as well as stretch your legs with a walk around town.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the closest ghost towns are west of Ennis which is about 50 miles west of Bozeman.

Pam

Albany, New York
reviews: 29
10. Re: Itinerary help

Pam....mine are a delightful NUDE color......you know, so they BLEND in when you wear them with shorts!!!! LOL

Edited: 6:00 pm, July 15, 2012