We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

atlanta, ga
reviews: 1
Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

In July we are headed to Yellowstone/Tetons for 8 days (2 are travel) We are in Yellowstone 4 nights (2 at Snow Lodge and 2 at Lake Lodge) And 3 nights in Jackson Hole. We have 8 and 10 yr. old girls. I am hoping for some help planning out how to do the highlights. We are also looking to horseback ride and do a float trip. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
1. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

Here are the must sees for Yellowstone-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

I know that you can do horseback riding in the Roosevelt area of the park.

In the Grand Tetons we love doing a scenic float trip on the Snake River with Barker Ewing- great guides and lots of beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Pam who posts on this forum is great at giving detailed daily trip plans if that is something you need.

Good luck!!

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 84
2. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

It may be too late for reservations, but you can check on horse ride at Roosevelt, Canyon and Mammoth (that would be my recommended order) If that doesn't work, TetonBill knows a lot about the rides near GTNP. Also, the girls may enjoy the Jr Ranger Program- sign up at the visitor center you visit first. DOn't forget the Huckleberry IceCream, get it on the first floor of the Old Faithful Inn and take it to the second floor deck to enjoy. To get daily ideas, we would need to know how you are getting there- drive or fly. If fly, which airport(s), and flight time(s) if driving, which entrance and predicted arrival. Any special interests or needs?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 79
3. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

We'd be happy to help you with an itinerary. As thbergs says, let us know where you are arriving and departing from and we can figure out a route. (with appropriate ice cream stops...a must!!)

Pam

atlanta, ga
4. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

Thanks, we are flying into Jackson Hole and staying that night at the Best Western, next we have reservations at the Snow Lodge for 2 nights, then the Lake Lodge for 2 nights, then back to Jackson Hole best Western for 2 nights. We have a total of 7 nights and 8 days but the first and last days are flying in and out of Jackson Hole. We are flying from Atlanta and our kids have never been to this part of the country before. I appreciate any thing and ice cream is a definate must.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
5. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

OK, here is one plan:

Day 1: Arrive Jackson

Day 2: Drive from Jackson to Yellowstone. Stop at West Thumb for a short walk, then head toward Old Faithful. Go to Visitor Center, check eruption prediction times and write them down on the brochure available at the desk. Do the Upper Gesyer Basin. Walk around Old Faithful to Geyser Hill, then down to Morning Glory and back, unless you something is predicted to go off, then head there. Eat ice cream on the 2nd floor deck of the Old Faithful Inn. Someone in the party MUST get huckleberry. It is required! Overnight at SnowLodge

Day 3: Visit anything in the Upper Geyser Basin you missed yesterday. Then work the area north of Old Faithful doing some of the smaller geyser basins, Midway, Firehole Lake Rd, Fountain Paint Pots and up to Madison Junction and around to Norris. Try to do Artist Paint Pots then some of Norris. If time allows you can head up to Mammoth. One thing you can also consider is a trip out to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery in West Yellowstone. I don't know what the cost is, but many enjoy it. Overnight at SnowLodge

Day 4: Today, I would head to Canyon via Madison and Norris. Stop at the Canyon Visitor Center (nice bathrooms-flush toilets!) Then do some of the overlooks on the North Rim and the South rim. Go down thru Hayden, do Mud Volcano, stop and walk across Fishing Bridge. Overnight at Lake

Day 5: Today is going to be a long day in the car. Head north to Canyon, then over Dunraven Pass to Tower Fall. At Tower/Roosevelt Junction turn left and go out in to Lamar Valley for wildlife spotting. You might want to do lunch at Roosevelt if you don't have a cooler. Return to the Tower/Roosevelt Jct, then head to Mammoth. Drive back to Petrified Tree as sometimes there are bear back there. If you have time do the Blacktail Plateau Dr. Continue to Mammoth. Do the Lower and Upper Terraces, maybe do the Ft Yellowstone walking tour. You can get the brochures at the Visitor Center. Head south to Norris, over to Canyon then back to Lake. Overnight at Lake

Day 6/7: Head South by the Lake and exit at the South entrance. Overnight Jackson

This is just a guideline. You may do things slower or faster than I would do or you may get the chance to spend an hour watching a griz and cubs. Those moments are much more important than getting things checked off!

Have fun! We want a report when you get back!

Pam

atlanta, ga
6. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

OMG, thank you so much. This will be great to work off of. And I will definately get the huckleberry ice cream. I love huckleberry anything! Will report when we get back the end of July. I really appreciate the help, Pam.

Pam :)

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 84
7. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

float trip you will want to do in GTNP after Yellowstone. I have never done this, there are several threads on here about them- just do a search. Have a GREAT trip!!

Holland, Michigan
8. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

We just got back from YNP a few days ago. I miss it, badly, already. We went with four kids - ages 6 through 13. They loved Yellowstone (although the hiking was a bit hard on the six year old). The kids all enjoyed whitewater rafting out of Jackson. We also did a chuck wagon dinner in Jackson and that was a favorite with everyone as well. There is so much to see in YNP and GTNP but doing a few things out of the park adds to the trip as well. The western feel of the area is great and we enjoyed it all immensely.

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

We recently returned from Jackson/GTNP and Yellowstone and had an amazing time. On our night in Jackson we stumbled upon the Jackson Hole Play House just in time for the play "The Ballad of Cat Ballou" - an old Western story. It was so much fun - I am pretty sure the kids would enjoy it too.

I am now regretting not trying the Huckleberry Icecream :(

I have posted some photos of our trip on my blog if you are interested www.alittlebigapple.com

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
10. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary

@ Michmom abd TheLittleEngine, if you have the time we would all love to read a trip report! ->off to look at TLE's pix.

Pam

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...