We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay while traveling to Yellowstone

Indiana
reviews: 2
where to stay while traveling to Yellowstone

We are driving from Bloomington, Indiana on May 31 to Yellowstone. According to a mapping website, the drive is going to take 25 hours. We plan on driving it in one haul, with a few hour nap sometime during the night. We are pulling our camper, so where ever we stop to nap, we will sleep in the camper. Does anybody have any ideas of safe places to pull over to sleep???? I heard that rest areas are patroled by cops, and if they notice you there for more than a few hours, they may run you off! Walmart?? A truck stop??

Decatur, Alabama
reviews: 1
1. Re: where to stay while traveling to Yellowstone

Try a google search for 'free campgrounds in the West' or similar. Truck stops might be very noisy at all hours. I have read on several websites that you can park overnight at most WalMarts, unless posted otherwise. At my local WalMart, campers tend to park away from the store, but near a parking lot light for safety. I would think that rest areas are too dark and isolated at night to be safe places to stop. Most state maps I've ever used state clearly that overnight camping is not permitted at rest areas. Sleeping for a few hours would probably be considered 'camping.'

If it works out for you, you might try a quick daytime stop at the interstate rest area near Chamberlain, South Dakota. There's a nice museum there, with exhibits about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

West Yellowstone, MT
2. Re: where to stay while traveling to Yellowstone

This may sound strange, but in the West, Walmarts have a "camper-friendly" policy. You will see campers at the far end of many of their parking lots. If you can handle the traffic, there is great security and lights!

3. Re: where to stay while traveling to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 29, 2009