We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 40th birthday get away

Which Seneca Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, NY
reviews: 8
Planning 40th birthday get away

Hello, my husband and I will be driving in from Albany May 23rd to celebrate his 40th birthday. I am leaning towards the Seneca Wine trail since a few of those wineries we are already fans of. Also, he is a big Nascar fan so would like to make a trip to the race track. I was thinking a day at each event would be sufficient? Also need help finding a hotel, I would like to stay below $150 a night, I know this may be hard since it's Memorial Day weekend. I saw that the Microtel Inn and Suites Seneca Falls is available, but is that close to the wineries? Also, any suggestions for a special place for dinner on his birthday? He is pretty open to trying most foods but a good steak is always high on his list when we go out.

4 replies to this topic
Maine
reviews: 21
1. Re: Planning 40th birthday get away

Seneca Falls is probably not your best choice. I would look at a map of the Seneca Wine trail, which is around Seneca Lake, and see which end and which side of the lake you're most interested in. SF is not bad if you want the north end of the lake but if you want the south west side it's a long way. Seneca Falls is on Cayuga Lake not Seneca. Watkins Glen at the south end of Seneca Lake might be better or even Ithaca. Ithaca is on Cayuga Lake, not Seneca but is a great place and Watkins Glen is quite accessible from there. A wine tour can be a day or more than one depending on your interest. There are plenty of wineries on the two lakes. You might want to post on the Finger Lakes forum.

2. Re: Planning 40th birthday get away

Hello. I would look at stating in either Watkins Glenn or Geneva, both on Seneca Lake. Geneva is a bit bigger and has more hotel and restaurant choices.. Halsey's is a good steak place but a bit pricey.. But good italian food is plentiful here too. The historic district in Geneva is nice to walk around (south main st). Let me know if i can help any more.

Edited: 4:39 pm, February 05, 2014
Ithaca, New York
reviews: 47
3. Re: Planning 40th birthday get away

There will be no hotel options in or around Ithaca for Memorial Day Weekend, as that is Cornell Commencement, and hotels are booked solid in all of Tompkins County, and possibly even many in Watkins Glen booked for that as well. Saturday will be a busy day at Cayuga and Seneca wineries,as many students take their families around for a day trip. Sunday would be the perfect winery day.

Look at Geneva for a few more hotel options, as mentioned.

Here is the track tour info for Watkins Glen : theglen.com/Plan-Your-Visit/Thunder-Road-Tou…

Seneca Falls, New...
reviews: 16
4. Re: Planning 40th birthday get away

Geneva would be a good option. Like another person said, there are a few good dining options. You could stay at the Ramada and be within walking distance of downtown. Although I wouldn't discount Seneca Falls. No one town is "near" the wineries. And really, you can only make it to 3 or 4 in a day, with a DD. In Seneca Falls there are a couple great B & Bs, and there is also the Clarence Hotel, right in downtown. The town is small, but quaint. The Clarence has a restaurant and there are a couple pizza places, and an upscale pub downtown. Seneca Falls is quaint, and quiet. Geneva is more urban. From Seneca Falls the nearest wineries are about 15-20 minutes away. Both trails are nice, if it is your first time I think you would be happy with either.

Edited: 12:27 pm, March 07, 2014
Reply to: Planning 40th birthday get away
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted