We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, FL
Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Hello All - I'm new to this site and in search of a fun winter family vacation with 4 yr. old son and 6 mos. old daughter. We will be visiting family in in Vienna, Va in January and are interested in "seeing snow" and possibly try some first-time skiing. Any recommendations of nice family friendly skiing areas in MD, WV or PA would be greatly appreciated.

We understand we would have to drive out of Vienna for skiing and wouldn't mind spending a few nights in a hotel, but wouldn't want to venture too far. My 6 mos. old absolutely hates her car seat and I wouldn't want to torture her with a long drive.

Thanks!

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

White Tail near Hagerstown, MD has a reputation for being customer and family friendly. You could do it in a day's drive if you wanted. I've never skiied there. You can find them on the web easily enough. I think its < 2 hours drive.

The closest places in WV are Canaan Valley and Timberline. Both would be suitable to learn. If you want to get to the top of the mountain, Timberline might be a little better. They have a long trail that isn't too bad. Canaan's equivalent is kind of scary at the bottom. They're located close together and are 3 to 3.5 hours away.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 41
2. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

I too am not real sure of any skiing much closer than about 2 hours, in Virginia, but I might be wrong. Here are two resorts that I know of that might be worth looking into:

Wintergreen (just south of Charlottesville off Route 29) if you are feeling brave enough for a 2 hour car ride with your toddler. They are not one of the larger ski resorts, but still have plenty to offer. I have not snow boarded, but I have skiied. They have a little of everything including a great lodge and several shops and restaurants to take advantage of. Check out www.wintergreenresort.com for detailed information.

Also check out www.massresort.com for Massanutten Resort in the Shenandoah Valley right near interstate 81. I'm not real sure how long it would take to get to this one, and unfortunately I don't have any first hand knowledge of this resort, but I wanted to pass along the little that I did know for skiing in Virginia.

Hopefully someone else will know better than me and you will find the perfect place to take your family. Good luck!

Northern Virginia
3. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

I live in Vienna. In my opinion, the best and probably largest ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic is Snow Shoe in WV. However, it is a 4 +/- hour drive. We often go to White Tail in Pennsylvania (1.75 hours), which is not bad and quite a bit smaller than Snowshoe. My neighbor is a ski instructor at Ski Liberty in Pennsylvania and he likes it. It is similar in size to White Tail and about the same commute time, maybe a little closer. It is also close to Gettysburg. Wintergreen is a logical choice. It's about 2.5 hours away and about 1/2 hour from Charlottesville, where the University of Virginia is. Wintergreen is a little smaller than the others but it is a larger resort and has more amenities that you could use if you stay overnight (indoor pool, hot tubs, hiking trails, close to Charlottesville, etc. - check their website).

The bottom line is that since you are beginners it probably does not make that much difference how big the mountain is and you should probably go to one of the other three I mentioned due to their proximity to Vienna. I noted nearby towns in case you wanted to do some tourist things on a day other than skiing. I would check their websites to see what else would interest you.

Virginia, USA
reviews: 8
4. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

I think the closest would encompass the following, which have been mentioned in the above posts. They would come in at around two hours or slightly under...Liberty, Roundrop, Whitetail and Massanutten.

http://www.skiliberty.com/

http://www.skiroundtop.com/

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/

http://www.massresort.com/

Virginia, USA
reviews: 8
5. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Oops, that is Roundtop of course!

Centreville VA
6. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Wintergreen is great for the kids. Most of the places have a kids program but not an infant program. Wintergreen has a a number you call and they set up in room babysitting with their pre-screened people. The other places I called would give you phone numbers but you had to set everything up yourself.

We went last year and in addtion to a three and four year old, we had a 5 month old with special needs. The babysitter was FANTASTIC!! I wanted to take her home!! She bundled him up, took him for walks, played with him. Obviously adored children and made no exception for a child with special needs. It didn't bother her that I kept checking in to make sure everything was OK.

Virginia Beach...
7. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Unfortunately i think that the closest ski resort in your area would be wintergreen. it has many great things to offer but is often over-crowded. i have gone skiing and snowboarding there and i would absolutely suggest it, if you were confortable with the possibility of 1 hour or so ski lift lines. so you would probably get about 5 runs in a day.(which may be shortened depending on your patience and tolerance to the cold.)

(www.wintergreenresort.com)

I would also suggest massanutten ski resort. it is near James Madison University in Dayton, Virginia. it is much smaller and only has about 10 slopes but there is never a wait and it is very family oriented. it has an excellent kids skiing/snowboarding program and a great starter slope.

i personally would suggest massanutten for you and your children. hope i could help.

Virginia Beach...
8. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

Unfortunately, i think that the closest drive you will be able to get is about 2 hours. i know of two resorts that i have gone skiing and snowboarding at.

First is wintergreen resort. it has a lot to offer however, it is too often over-crowded. i have skied and snowboarded at this resort and it would be better for people who already know how to ski/snowboard. it is a nice place other than the possibility of 1 or 2 hour ski lift lines. Meaning you will probably only get 5 or 6 runs a day.(which may vary depending on your patience and tolerance to the cold.

Another place i would suggest would be Massanutten. it is near James Madison University in Dayton, Virginia. It is much smaller but has a great kids ski/snowboard program and two great beginner slopes. It also has some very advanced slopes if you ever decide to go without your children. i have also skied/snowboarded at this resort and i would suggest it over wintergreen becuase there is never a wait and it is extremely family oriented. i have gotten into 25 runs a day at this resort. And if you lose the interest to ski one day they have a great snow-tubing area which is also very fun for all ages.

I personally would suggest massanutten because you get much more skiing time and it is a safer, more family oriented environment.

Hope i could help!!

I personally would suggest massanutten for your trip

Virginia Beach...
9. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

oops!! i didn't mean to post the first reply!!

Washington DC...
reviews: 50
10. Re: Skiing and Snow near Vienna,VA - PLEASE HELP!

This post is very old. I am sure the OP has already visited Vienna 3 years ago.

Please check dates of posts and the relevance of your reply to the time frame before posting.

Get answers to your questions about Vienna