We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels closest to mall?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok
reviews: 1
Hotels closest to mall?

Can anyone give me an idea of which hotels are closest to the mall or have the easiest access to the mall? In addition to easiest access to the mall we are looking for a hotel with kitchens or kitchenettes. Many thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
reviews: 61
1. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

It would be easier to answer your question if we knew which mall you are referring to. Is it a shopping mall, or do you mean The Mall in DC along which many of the museums and galleries are located?

Bangkok
2. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

Apologies! I was referring to Tyson's Corner. I assumed since I posted my question in the Vienna, VA forum that it would be clear. Thanks for your suggestions. I was going to book Residence Inn but the reviews were lukewarm. Am thinking Embassy Suites might be a better choice. Am open to all recommendations. We are 2 adults and 2 small children staying for a week.

Washington DC...
3. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

Sorry too. I didn't mean to be so obtuse. I thought you might mean Tyson's but around here we just call it Tyson's, so I thought you could also mean the National Mall in DC or maybe even Fair Oaks Mall which we do call "the mall."

Anyway...I looked at the TA reviews for that Marriott and I agree it doesn't sound too good. I've stayed at 2 Residence Inns in the past 7 months, and they were both very nice. One had been rennovated and 1 had not, so the rennovated one was actually a lot better in terms of decoration, furniture condition, and overall appearance. Staff was nicer and more helpful too, but that had nothing to do with the renno.

But I will caution you that the traffic around Tyson's Corner is a bear because of work being done on the Beltway. I think most northern Virginians will agree that it is the worst traffic in the DC metro area of VA. Is it possible that another mall would do? There are a number of upscale malls in the area besides Tyson's. Are you planning to do anything else while in the area? That is not a convenient location for other activities if you want metro accessibility.

Bangkok
4. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

Thanks so much! Actually, we are coming to the area to visit Fairfax County (McLean, Vienna, etc) neighborhoods and schools as we are planning a move to that area in the next year or so. We will probably go into DC for a few days as well to do some site-seeing so we will need metro access. We figured Tyson's would be a good place to base ourselves (so that we also have easy access to shops and restaurants too) but are there other places you would suggest given the traffic situation?

Washington DC...
5. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

I can see how on a map that would be the logical place to choose, and maybe given the fact that you want to check out Vienna and McLean neighborhoods and schools, it does make the most sense. Those neighborhoods are on opposite sides of the beltway and you can use route 123 to travel between the two with no need to get on the beltway. There is no metro access (YET) in the Tyson's area. The closest station is at Dunn Loring which is convenient to the Vienna side of Leesburg Pike, so try to pick a hotel near 123, Gallows Rd., or Courthouse Rd. in Vienna. and that is exactly what you were trying to do before I interrupted.

There are plenty of restaurants in Vienna, so you wouldn't even have to get on Leesburg Pike (rt. 7), or you can cross rt. 7 on International drive and go to one of the many chain restaurants at the Galleria (Tysons II).

Besides the additional lane construction messing up Beltway traffic, there is metro rail construction along rt. 7 in the Tysons area. So the whole area is a mess that those of us who live here are trying to avoid. But I agree that for your purpose, it does make the most sense for a location. Maybe you could stay there for the days you are looking at those neighborhoods and then move to Crystal City or Pentagon City areas of Arlington Co. which has lots of hotels and restaurants and is just a few stops on the metro from DC (blue or yellow line).

Bangkok
6. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

Thanks very much for all your great advice! Don't worry about "interrupting" - I am so grateful for your help! Hmm well we are actually thinking of looking around Arlington County too for neighborhoods and schools. But I have a good friend in Vienna that we want to see as well. Not sure where the most central place would be for everything, while avoiding the beltway and the traffic. We have two young kids so I don't want to move hotels mid-way - the more convenient everything is, the better! I will check out the areas you mentioned. We are flying into Dulles, by the way.

Washington DC...
7. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

OK, now that I have more facts (regarding airport and wanting to also look in Arlington Co and not changing hotesl), maybe this would be the perfect solution for you: the Ballston area of Arlington Co.

1. take the Dulles Access Rd. from the airport to Rt. 66 inside the Beltway. Stay in Ballston (link to hotels in area) http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ballston+va&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

2. take Glebe Rd. to the McLean area of FX County.

3. Take I-66 west to Vienna to visit your friends and look at Vienna

4. Take the orange line metro into DC for sightseeing.

Ballston is a very vibrant urban area with lots of restaurants.

Do try to avoid I-66 inbound (east) during the evening rush hour when visiting Vienna. It backs up a lot just inside the beltway.

Springfield, VA
reviews: 125
8. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

You might want to check if the Embassy Suites Tysons Corner has a shuttle to Metro, if you're interested in having a kitchen/kitchenette. I think you're going to have a harder time finding one in the Ballston area. Many hotels in the Tysons area have vans that will take you to the West Fall Chuch station, which is two stops further out the Orange Line from Ballston.

It's a little further from the shopping center, but we used the Staybridge Suites in McLean for out of town guests when we had my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary at a restaurant at the Tysons II mall, and everyone was happy with the accommodations.

9. Re: Hotels closest to mall?

The Embassy Suites Tysons Corner does indeed provide shuttle service to and from the Dunn Loring Metro Station (Orange line). Our shuttle runs daily, upon request, from 645am through 11pm.

We have just finished up installing our new 37'' flat screen TV's and new bedding package in every guest suite. Our full cooked to order breakfast is complimentary each morning to our guests and you can't forget about the 2 hours of free drinks and snacks every night at our manager's reception! Come check us out, it would be our pleasure to have you as our guests.

Reply to: Hotels closest to mall?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vienna