We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

Hi all,

My boys (ages 8 and 6) want to learn how to ski this weekend. We are only going for 1 day so we are trying to stay close. We live in Loudoun County, VA so I think my best choices are Roundtop, Whitetail, Liberty.

Since we will be skiing on Sunday I know crowds will be bad....I am willing to drive a bit further to pick the one that will have the least crowds...which one do you recommend.

My kids will be taking ski school, is there one that is much better than another. They have never been skiing before so they will need to start at beginning, but are very athletic so I am sure they will pick it up quickly. Which school is best for them to learn at ...and will allow them to move on and do some fun stuff.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

I am in the same boat as you! Mine are 12 and 10 and just got on skis. They are hooked, and we are trying to get in as much as we can this winter.

We went to Whitetail last Monday (Jan 26th). Conditions are great.

Whitetail has a great beginner area that is away from the rest of the crowds with its own lift. If your sons make it through that, and are ready to graduate, their easier slopes are nice and big and wide, again, served by their own lift.

The one down-side to Whitetail is the two main lifts are back to back, so the crowd conglomerates in one area. If you have a beginner coming down the hill and then trying to get into the lift area, it is easy to crash into people. I wouldn't move out of the bunny slope area until you are sure they can stop and control themselves well.

I don't have any advise for you regarding schools. We chose DIY lessons, and my boys being quite athletic too, took right to it.

To drive to Whitetail if you choose to go there, head out to Winchester on 7, and then up 81 to Clear Spring. It will probably take you less than an hour and a half.

BTW, if they are hooked, and you want to get them equipment, I found this amazing shop in Chantilly near my office. They deal in a lot of gently-used kids stuff and have a much better selection and better deals than Ski Chalet. I was able to get Skis, boots, poles for both boys for about $250. NICE stuff too...K2s, Rossignol, Solomon. The Rossies were brand new. If you are going to ski a lot, it is a lot cheaper then renting, and they will do exchanges next season. Place is Extreme Allsport at 4008 C Walney Rd, Chantilly. 703-449-9700. Pete, the owner is a great guy.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
2. Re: Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

Sorry, I left a part out of my directions...81 to Hagerstown, and then jump on 70 west and get off at Clear Spring.

Virginia
3. Re: Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

Thank you for the info. I did end up calling roundtop on Wednesday night and spoke with one of the ski instructors. She was very helpful to speak with. It sounds like they kids can do a package of 3 lessons on Sunday at 90 minutes each, skis, full day lift (till 10pm), lunch etc... all for $90. Each lesson they can graduate onto a different part of the hill or a different lift, etc..

I do think I am going to give it a try as someone told me off the three mountains Roundtop will be the least busy on the weekend. I will post my experience when I get back.

The tip on the ski shop is great! I idea of used skis that can be traded when the grow is perfect. Chantilly is close to me so I might check out the place today since we still need some other gear (gloves, goggles, etc..) before we head out.

4. Re: Roundtop vs. Whitetail vs. Ski liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vienna