We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
reviews: 35
Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

We're headed to Cincinnati for the Bengals game on December 10th. it's 4 guys (33-40 ish in age).

We fly in Friday around noon...then leave Monday AM.

Sunday is all football for the most part...but trying to plan the rest of the trip.

1st: We want to eat at only local spots (Skyline will be included) and want a spot that jeans/sweater work just fine. We don't bring any good clothes on these trips. Want somewhere that is good and also happening, half of us are married, so we wanna entertain the single guys also.

2nd: wanna hang out on Friday/Saturday night...wondering if there is an "area" where people hang out?!? Somewhere we could eat then bar hop a bit...perhaps without driving?!? Again, only half are married...if you know Austin, like 6th Street or in Ft. Worth Sundance Square. I have heard of Gaslight District...have no idea what it is.

3rd: Is there an "ICONIC" restaurant you wouldn't let your brother leave town without dining at?!?!? Love those places.

4th: Any sightseeing things we should do?!? For instance, we did Boston with this group and did Freedom Trail/Fenway/Brewery all day Saturday. So we don't mind doing the sightseeing stuff at all...

5th: We're staying at Embassy Suites directly across river from Paul Brown Stadium...we have rental car so driving is no biggie.

Cincinnati, Oh
reviews: 9
1. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

You will be staying in Covington so you might try Maine Strauss Village for your Friday night . There are several quaint little bars in the area and some restraunts. Or Newport which you will be about a mile from also in KY There is a Hofbrau House (like a German beer garden) with home brews and german fare. Singing on the tables, etc. Several bars in this area also within walking distance of each other. In Newport up a few streets from the River is an Italian homecooked restraunt called Pompilios. Delicious food and alot of memorabilia. Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffmann filmed there in Rain Man. I woud recommend cabbing to both areas. You can research both areas online. Maine Strauss is Covington, and the other would be Newport.Ky and Newport on the Levee.

Another area to check out, possibly on game day or on one of the evenings, would be the new area called "The Banks" which is located between our baseball stadium and Paul Brown stadium on the Cincinnati side of the river.Has several spots to eat, Morlein Lager House is nice place to eat, their is a Toby Keiths, and a nice sports bar called The holy Grail which has bar fare and many tvs for sports watching. All of these places can have a wait on Fridays and Saturdays, and all are fine with jeans and sweaters.

I thin anyof the 3 of these areas would have what you are looking for as far as food and bars within walking distance. Have fun!

Cincinnati
reviews: 5
2. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

When you are out boozing utilize the Southbank Shuttle, operated by the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky. For $1 you can move easily between downtownCincinnati and NewportandCovingtonKY (trying to avoid the extremely annoying automated links generated on TAdvisor).

You might be confusing the Gaslight District (uptown and close - but not that close - to the University of Cincinnati) and the Gateway District (downtown). The former won't be worth your time but the latter is worth checking out although it is very much a work in progress.

I agree with danzmom that you should definitely try Hofbrau Newport and the Moerlein House (and the multiple places in between). Pompillio's has a nice atmosphere but the food is not good. As for an iconic Cincy restaurant, candidates would include: one of the Jeff Ruby properties like The Precinct (about 12-15 minutes by car from donwtown), any chili parlor (don't forget about Gold Star and on your side of the river, Dixie chili) and Montgomery Inn (larger riverside "bbq" restaurant that Texans would not find palatable).

On Friday or Saturday you might consider taking a cab to Mt. Adams for some bar hopping. Its not far from downtown and has multiple water holes including many interesting ones.

There are several posts that ask the same questions you are asking and if you mine this board I think you will find some other ideas.

Hebron, Kentucky
reviews: 24
3. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Definitely do the Precinct (steak) for dinner one night. You'll definitely enjoy it unless you are going with a bunch of Vegans. I would also recommend going to the Hofbrau House one night (probably Saturday) because there are lots of women there. Generally a good Saturday will have three or four bachelorette parties there which will be fun for the single guys in your group. This place gets better as the night goes on due to the strong beer...

With regards to lunch, assuming skyline will be one day you may want to hit up La Rosa's the other. Good Cincinnati pizza, and generally goes over pretty well with hangovers.

The night you don't do the Precinct, go to the Moerlein Lager House for dinner (and drinks), and then make your way to Toby Keith's, and then on the Penguin Dueling Piano Bar (Friday night is Ladies night). Hard to go wrong with these places. The Scene has been popular lately, but it isn't that big and tends to be a younger crowd.

I'm 35 and would hit up all the above for any guys weekend. There's also Behle Street Cafe in the front of your hotel which is a bar at night, so you can stop there on your way back each night as well.

Go bengals!

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 169
4. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Lots of good suggestions in the previous posts. The Newport on the Levee is a good area, but very touresty. Pompillio's is a nice little family type Italian place with reasonable prices and good food. Since you are staying in Covington, I would HIGHLY reccomend Dee Felice Cafe. This is in an old building in the Main Strasse area and has great Cajun food as well as good steaks. They have a stage above the bar with a traditional Dixieland Jazz band playing. Someone mentioned The Precinct which is exceptional 80's style steakhouse, but is quite expensive so if you are on a budget look elsewhere. It is a short ride outside of downtown and IMO has some of the best steaks you will ever taste along with good fish dishes and a raw bar.

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 2
5. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

The others have given good suggestion. I'd just second that the Montgomery Inn Boathouse is a very good, famous local place with a nice view. Though they have tablecloths and linen napkins and tuxedo'd waiters, you can go wearing jeans and a sweater (if it's warm enough for just a sweater!) - everyone does. montgomeryinn.com/boathouse-montgomery-inn.p… They have lots of pictures on the wall of famous celebrities and sports stars who have dined there.

Since it appears you may also be interested in history, there's a Underground Railroad Freedom Center in downtown near the stadiums. There's also a Cincinnati History Museum in the Museum Center http://www.cincymuseum.org/ It's very nice with a huge miniature model of Cincinnati from about a hundred years ago and the whole history of Cincinnati for the last three hundred years or so (maybe longer). Lots of nice dioramas.

Fort Mitchell...
reviews: 25
6. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Embassy is a great starting point, nice place.

The Covington main street area is usually frequented by the 20 something crowd. DeFelice is a nice option if you like jazz and Cajun food. The filet is wonderful.

More than likely a trip to the banks is the best choice for happy hour fun. The Holy Grail does a pep rally event usually on Friday for happy hour. Sport type atmosphere. Live music will be easy to find at the many options that the Banks has. If $$$ aren't a problem, you need to go to Jeff Ruby's downtown, fantastic steaks and nice 30 and up crowd. Saturday would be a good night for the dwntwn experience.

Sunday tailgating is a big part of the morning. Long worth hall parking lots are a fun time.

Enjoy your time.

Peace

Fort Mitchell...
reviews: 25
7. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

I would also add that if you guys like horse racing Turfway Park is open with live racing for their holiday meet. Only 10-15 minute drive from your hotel. The valets at the Embassy should have up to the minute information on what is going on in the city if you need.

Check cincinnatiusa.com or citybeat.com for music and entertainment schedules.

Peace

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 169
8. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Another option is the Mount Adams area which is just up the hill from downtown Cincinnati and a 10 minute cab ride from Covington. Mount Adams offers several good dining options and numerous bars/nightclubs for dancing and live music.

For casual dining options I reccomend City View Tavern (good burgers, cold beer and great views of the city) or The Rookwood (good sandwiches and you can actually eat in a pottery kiln). Teak Thai Cuisine and Bar is pricier, but offers good Thai food and The Mt. Adams Fish House was great the last time I ate there, but that has been several years ago.

Mt. Adams also offers numerous options for nightlife including: The Blind Lemon, a historic spot with a great patio; Yesterday's, a maze of a place with cheap beer; Mt. Adams Pavillion, a 4 level bar/nightclub; Crowley's, an Irish Pub and Longworth's, with a downstairs pub and a DJ and dancing upstairs.

I am sure others can reccomend even more options (I do not get to Mt. Adams as often as I would like), but this a too often forgotten area of Cincinnati with great history, bars, food and views!

Thornville, Ohio
reviews: 60
9. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

Just so you know, the Bengals - Cowboys game is on Sunday the 9th, not the 10th. I just purchased tickets to it for the Dallas side. Didn't want anyone getting confused. Hope everyone enjoys the game! It is supposed to snow that day, according to the Accuweather extended forecast!! Bring warm clothes!

Dallas
reviews: 35
10. Re: Guys trip to Cincinnati (December 9th)

thank you all so much, wish the forecast had held, now it looks like we will be too freakin' warm and wet all at the same time.

I appreciate all of your help...look forward to the Queen City