We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

I'm currently looking into taking a road trip in January to see Marquette play Cincinnati at the Fifth Third Arena the weekend of MLK, Jr day. I have been to Cincinnati previously on a service trip in Over-the-Rhine. From what I remember, UC's campus is not in downtown Cincinnati (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like your honest opinion about where to stay. I prefer to stay somewhere with a fun, young nightlife, but also is very safe.

Thanks in advance!

Cincinnati
reviews: 5
1. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

Your memory is correct. The campus and the arena are uptown in an area commonly referred to (although incorrectly) as "Clifton." [stupid automatic link] There is easy access from this area to downtown by bus (10-15 minutes) if you would like to stay in one of the large hotels. Otherwise, you might consider the Kingsgate Marriott (located on the East Campus and about a 10 minute walk to Shoemaker Center (that is 5/3 Arena) or at the Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/University Area (a bit closer but not by much). If you are looking for college age nightlife then the university district is a good place to go but do beware: the area can be dangerous, especially when walking alone and/or at night. If you are traveling alone, you would probably feel safer and minimize any risks by staying downtown, taking a bus to the game and a cab or a bus back to your hotel after your night(s) out. I am a large man and I would not walk to either of the hotels mentioned above at night but would take a taxi. The above is not meant to frighten you away from a visit, as you would have to be incredibly unlucky to be victimized by crime, but only to inform.

Edited: 7:24 pm, October 01, 2012
Cincinnati
reviews: 9
2. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

Although UC is not downtown near the central business district, I don't see any problem with staying downtown for the weekend. Both the downtown/riverfront area has had some strong improvements, along with the over the Rhine area. Both the kingsgate and Hampton inn are located directly on the campus, but as the previous poster mentioned - it's not the best neighborhood. If you are coming in for a long weekend, you may want to stay downtown. If you're just coming in for the game, the campus hotels will do just fine.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 26
3. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

For night life that appeals to young people, try Mt. Adams. A recent college grad that I know also likes the Hofbrauhaus in Newport.

You can get a taxi to and from Mt. Adams. Parking is tight there.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
4. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

NatiDaddy - Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into those hotels when I start booking. And don't worry - you won't scare me away. Every large city has it's bad areas; Milwaukee included. I won't be traveling alone and am accustomed to taking taxis.

savemyfish - Good point. We're planning on driving, which will take about 8 hours, so I'm hoping to stay at least two nights.

nancycinti - I've heard good things about the Mt Adams area and will also have to take that into consideration!

Thanks to everyone for your help :)

cincinnati, ohio
reviews: 83
5. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

If you want to find a place to party after the game - while you're in town -, corner one of U.C.'s band during their third quarter break during the game and ask where they plan on going after the game - I guarantee you it will be a fun time, cold beer and cheap.

TUCBIDG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you could visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Re: Visiting for UC Basketball game - suggestions welcomed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2013