We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area to stay for Bengals game

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
reviews: 25
Area to stay for Bengals game

We are coming up this Fall to see the Cowboys play in Cincy. Have NO IDEA where to stay...we'd like to be relatively close to the stadium, but want to stay in the best area in the city with regards to bars and a night scene. Restaurants are a plus...and we'd like to walk if we go out at night to cure the issue of driving.

Would also love suggestions of LOCAL bars, no chains preferably, that would be good for watching sports (College Football for sure) and can just chill out!!

Thanks for any suggestions...

Columbus, OH
reviews: 105
1. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

There is a place on the Cincinnati side i believe called 'the square'. Its in the middle of everything, and a few blocks walk down to the stadium....and depending on when you are there, they have free events in the middle area. Sorry...off the top of my head cant remember the names of the hotels...but i know there are a few that empty right into the square.

We almost always stay at the Embassy Suites over the river in Covington. Nice hotel, great perks like free cocktails in the evening and free hot breakfast in the morning. But it will require a cab ride ($7-10) to Newport or Cincy dowtown. But you can take the pedestrian bridge over to the stadium.

Dallas
reviews: 25
2. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

thank you so much, I will look at THE SQUARE immediately.

Really appreciate the response...any fave bars/restaurants?!?

I did see the Embassy...looks really nice.

Columbus, OH
3. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

I am really bad remembering names of places...But the sushi place at the Newport has GREAT sushi rolls! And the Brewry at the square has great house beer and an awesome Ruben! :) And the place with the mechanical bull...Screamin Willies? Wild Willies? was fun. The beer hause was sooo much fun, its in Newport across the street. I'll double check the names for you....lol!

Columbus, OH
4. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

Ok....

Hotel that i was referring to on the square i believe is Westin.

The brewery was Rock Bottom

Best sushi is from Aoi Japanese Resturant

The bar with the mechanical bull was called Cadillac Ranch

And the German beer hause is called hofbrauhaus (spelling?)...it was a highlight for sure of our last trip down.

Hope this info helps some! :)

Edited: 10:39 pm, April 16, 2012
Cincinnati
reviews: 10
5. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

Not to rain on the parade of the last comments, but both the sushi place in Newport and the mechanical bull place have since closed. The sushi place is now a thai place and the mechanical bull place is now just a sports bar without a mechanical bull called "cincys on sixth"

The embassy suites are a good option and being in Covington you have your choice of a number of walks or sports bars/pubs in the area. The bar on fountain square "rock bottom" is a little over priced and generic for my tastes. It's also a pretty long walk from the embassy suites.

Columbus, OH
6. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

I'm sad to hear about the sushi place....the Cadillac ranch was a little blah...and I actually read on another forum that is closing/closed, but I couldn't confirm for sure so I didin't post that.

As for the square, yes, I did post that if they stay at Embassy they will need to take a cab to Newport or the Square.

I'm suprised by you saying Rock Bottom was over priced, I considered it priceds like an O'Charleys or something similar, but I also had a few beers and a ruben...in general 'touristy' areas are a little higher in price.

Cincinnati, Ohio
7. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

Along the Cincinnati side of the river there are two stadiums. Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals) on the west and Great American Ballpark (Reds) to the east. They are within 6-8 blocks of each other. The Banks is a new development that is just to the west of the Great American Park and has several new restaurants that have opened in late 2011 and 2012. If you are thinking of walking to the stadiums from either the Westin on Fountain Square or the Embassy Suites in Covington, they could be within your walking distance. Also near the Westin is a Brazillian steakhouse called Boi-na-braza and one of our favorite bars the Palomino.

BTW. the Dallas game will be at 1 PM EST on December 9, so be sure to bring warm clothing. It is a little cooler in Cincinnati than in Dallas and Paul Brown Stadium is not enclosed.

Edited: 9:50 pm, April 17, 2012
Cincinnati
reviews: 5
8. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

Here (below) are two places in downtown CincinnatiO and in NewportKY (misspelled in order to avoid the inane automatic links that tripadvisor imposes on a post) for watching games. There are several smaller pubs and bars in both NewportKY and CovingtonKY where you can catch a game as well as in other parts of downtown Cincy. The "square" referred to above is Fountain Squaree (see above on misspelling) and it is the focal point of downtown with several hotels within easy walking distance of it and of Paul Brown Stadiumm. Public transportation is not particularly good but it is adequate for getting between these points. You will likely wish to utilize the Southbank Shuttle (operated by the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) that serves all three cities on a two-way, dedicated tourist route. tankbus.org/routes-schedules/southbank-shutt…

www.holygrailcincy.com/html/banks/banks.php

http://www.moerleinlagerhouse.com/

http://www.arniesonthelevee.com/

http://www.brothersbar.com/location_home.cfm

Edited: 9:50 am, April 18, 2012
9. Re: Area to stay for Bengals game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, June 19, 2013