We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
reviews: 63
Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

I'me looking for a scenic daytrip driving from Cincy to Parkersburg/Mineral Wells/Marietta, and maybe do another daytrip to the Hocking Hills from there.

Maybe following the Ohio river untill Portsmouth is an idea? Is this a scenic route? On which side of the river would be best?

Any sights along the route?

Any suggestions from Porsmouth to Parkersburg?

Thank you!

Cincinnati
reviews: 5
1. Re: Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

Now that the leaves are coming out, views of the river along route are far fewer although it can still be nice if a bit tedious for the driver.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Re: Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

Between Cincinnati and Portsmouth on the Ohio side is US 52. I have always thought of it as a scenic route with several places to stop. There is Pt. Pleasant, birthplace of President U. S. Grant, the Anthony Mendall Locks and Dam with a picnic area, Ripley with the Rankin House and we love to stop at the Moyer Restaurant and Winery (http://www.moyerwinery.com) which is east of Aberdeen and 3 west of Manchester. In Portsmouth, you need to checkout the murals on the Ohio River floodwall. If you are interested in other wineries, check http://www.ohiowines.org/

If you leave Cincinnati via Newport KY, be sure to follow KY 8. It will take you past the St Ann's Convent in Melbourne, KY (The movie Rain Man has his as a scene), Augusta, where actor George Clooney went to high school and his Aunt Rosemary lived for a while. There is an auto ferry that operates acrodd the Ohio River at Augusta. Or you can stay on KY 8 and go to Maysville, where Rosemary Clooney lived later in her live. Be sure to the bridge from downtown to Ohio. The Moyer Winery will be a few miles east of the bridge on the right (river side of the highway).

After Portsmouth, I have never tried to go to Parkersburg, but you might try US 52 to Chesapeake and then Ohio 7 along the river. OH 7 goes along the river and takes you thru Gallipolis and Pomeroy before leaving the river and then up to Belpre, OH and Parkersburg.

The route would be slow going, but very scenic.

Edited: 10:24 pm, April 17, 2012
Opp, Alabama
reviews: 94
3. Re: Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

The road on the KY side is a lesser-grade road than the OH side, and gets farther away from the river, especially at Maysville. The OH side is a designated scenic route from just East of Cincy until Wheeling WV, except a stretch between Portsmouth and Huntington. However, the way it follows the contours of the river causes it to be an extremely long and time-consuming way to go. I would go up 23 from Portsmouth to 32 which joins up with 50 and will take you into Athens. From there, 550 is a designated scenic route that will get you to Marietta. The whole drive is at least 5 hours, probably 6. I've driven all of it, but not in a single trip.

Marietta is a stunningly beautiful and historic town, I hope you love it as much as I do.

Allow yourselves plenty of time in Hocking Hills. Especially if you want to do any hiking along the Buckeye Trail and/or in Old Man's Cave state park, the primary attraction in the area. You won't want to rush through the most beautiful part of OH!

4. Re: Most scenic Route Cincy to Parkersburg,WV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, June 19, 2013