We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
owensboro ky
reviews: 2
"Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

I have 2 children, aged 4yrs & 6yrs old... plus 1 big kid (Dad) . lol Is this something worth our time ? If so, are there discount tickets ? Thanks for your time...

Cincinnati
reviews: 9
1. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

Not many discounts that I've seen. Check www.newportonthelevee.com for coupons.

It's a fun and unique experience, but it is a little pricey for what it's worth. Make sure they can go on the river because sometimes when the river is to high, the cant go on the river.

owensboro ky
2. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

Savemyfish, thank you for the info. We may have a couple of hours, & I was wondering if this might fit the time. I'll check for the coupons.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
3. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

IMO, if you and especially your kids aren't wearing life vests before the vessels go on the water, don't go on any duck tour. There may not be nearby boats to rescue passengers in the event of a problem. Take a regular boat tour if you want to see the city from the river.

…philly.com/2011-02-01/news/27092963_1_ducks…

camillc.com/ntsb_to_join_probe_of_duck_sinki…

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 89
4. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

IMO a big ripoff; maybe fun but not worth the price. I recommend the Newport Aquarium.

Edited: 12:07 pm, March 18, 2012
owensboro ky
5. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

I really appreciate the info on "Duck Tours". I just thought the kids might enjoy a "army like" vehicle ride, that can go on land & water. I never thought about an emergency. I took for granted that they were safe(duck tours). I'm sure we can find something else to do. Thank you...

Cincinnati
reviews: 9
6. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

The duck boats are as safe as taking a bus or flying. The river is no wider than 300 yards and there is far less barge/ commercial traffic on the river in Cincinnati than in Boston or Philadelphia.

It's definitely someone different and interesting and it sounds like it may appeal to you. If anything, split up and let the older kids go on the boat ride.

While you are at the levee, make sure to try "Tom and chee" it's cheap and very tasty. I also heard a 5 guys was opening up there as well!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
7. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

<<The duck boats are as safe as taking a bus or flying.>>

Savemyfish, that's likely a ridiculous statement IMO. Back it up with some facts, please.

I will admit that it's highly likely that nobody would be hurt on any single Duck voyage in the U.S., but if you considered fatalities per million miles or per passenger mile (especially if the statistics were calculated only for miles traveled on water) traveled for the last five years or decade for those three modes of travel in the U.S, I doubt that the Ducks would compare favorably with buses and certainly not with planes.

Consider that Ducks often are reconditioned hybrid vehicles that sometimes were originally were manufactured over half a century ago. Many persons would think twice about flying on a DC-3, but don't think much about going into shipping lanes on an antique amphibious truck that was designed to carry supplies from a ship to a landing beach in World War II, not as a modern pleasure vehicle.

I've been on large, double-hulled pleasure boats on Lake Erie where everyone was wearing life jackets. I certainly wouldn't want to take a 4- or 6-year-old on a Duck unless they were wearing a life jacket for the entire trip, even if the Duck was in a small pond and the kids were "waterproof."

That's my opinion.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
8. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

Have you considered walking across the Roebling Suspension Bridge, much as visitors to New York City walk across its larger, but younger sibling -- the Brooklyn Bridge.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Roebling_Suspens…

9. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:00 pm, April 14, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 65
10. Re: "Ride the Duck" or not to ride duck...

I have children the same age, and am not ready to take them on the Ducks tour. FYI, as far as safety goes, there was a tragic Ducks accident in Philly not that long ago (2010). …cbslocal.com/2011/…

There is enough barge traffic on the Ohio that could easily replicate this tragedy. My husband is a firefighter for an urban, metropolitain Ohio city. We always think safety first, it's just our nature.

To the OP, if you still have time to burn, let us know what your itinerary already is, and we can help you fill in the blanks.