We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about downtown Cincinnati

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
reviews: 6
Question about downtown Cincinnati

Going to a baseball game at Great American Ballpark in a couple weeks and would like some suggestions of where to stay. We would like to stay at a decent place that is near the ballpark (although we can drive to the games) and has some good places to eat and drink after the game near by. I was considering staying at Newport? Would this be a decent place to stay? Let me know your thoughts...

Zurich, Switzerland
1. Re: Question about downtown Cincinnati

hakechrr,

There are fine hotels on both sides of the river, having said that, I would suggest staying in NKY- Newport is great. There is a lot more going on in NKY than Cincy for pre and post game activities. Check out the site www.newportonthelevee.com for more information (and go to tourism information, for further listing of hotels etc.)

The most affordable and nice hotel is probably the Comfort Suites-Newport, where you can get a room for around $100, the others tend to be more unless you get some deal. It is located w/in a short walking distance to Buckhead Grill, Joe's Crabshack and Don Pablos- all of which have outdoor patio seating with great views of river / cincy skyline. At just a little longer walk, is Hooters and another bar which are on the river. There is a TANK bus shuttle that goes along this stretch which will take you directly across the river to the stadium for $1 each way. No need to drive, park the car, drink and be merry. The bus runs until 10 pm on weekdays or until 20 min after the game is over and until 12pm on weekends.

If you are more budget minded, the least expensive motel near the action in NKY is probably the Travelodge- its w/in walking distance to Newport on Levee and even accross the bridge to the staduum.

If you have any further questions just ask.

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 11
2. Re: Question about downtown Cincinnati

Newport and Covington have the more economical hotels, which is not to say they're bad, just less expensive and fancy. The places in downtown Cincy all would set you back a few more bucks, the flip side being that you'd be in plush surroundings at locations like the Netherland Plaza, Cincinnatian, etc. Downtown's Ramada Inn is on the far side of the expressway and is not that close to the stadium for walking yet at the same time not all that far for driving.

Restaurants are much the same way: less pricy in Newport (though mostly "chain" places) than downtown. But downtown has everything from Frisch's to the renowned Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse to the very-top-dollar Pigall's and Maisonette (French) restaurants. There are plenty of bars on both sides of the river for when you just want to knock back a few drinks and socialize. After all, the Reds have been a part of the Cincinnati fabric for over 135 years!

ohio
3. Re: Question about downtown Cincinnati

stay at embassy suites .....that is where we always stay.

Indianapolis
reviews: 6
4. Re: Question about downtown Cincinnati

As a follow up to my first post, we stayed at the Comfort Suites this past weekend and had no complaints. The staff was great and the hotel was in a good location. I ended up being choosen as the guest of the day and recieved a couple freebees.

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 11
5. Re: Question about downtown Cincinnati

Pass along your good experience there in a Trip Advisor review! Many people who visit the TA site for ideas go to those write-ups without venturing into the forums. You'd be helping others with their travel plans, and frequent posters like me draw on the reviews when guiding people.

Let us know here what other places you enjoyed while you were in Cincy. How did you like the new stadium? Did you eat and drink especially well anyplace in town? Would you make the trek down 74 again to do more things?