We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Which Walla Walla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, FL
reviews: 73
best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Don't know if I want to drive (by myself) all the way from WW to Grand Tetons (through Yellowstone?) unless there is a good/shorter way to go. Any ideas? Routes? How long it would take. Safe route for woman alone?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
1. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Hi ammiemax and welcome to the forums.

If you use Google Maps, with Walla Walla as your origin and, say, Canyon Village and/or Jackson (the town) as your destination, you'll see the major route options, distances and time. Or check out a hard copy map, though I find the Google Maps far more useful.

I drive to these parks often from Seattle, soon again early June, and take one over night. I think you might find an over night en route comfortable, it is a long drive.

Unsure what you are asking when you say "safe route". These roads include freeways and very well traveled roads and it is tourist season. I'd advise any woman traveling alone to do this wonderful trip.

Once you decide to go, I'd be glad to suggest an interesting route, but feel you need to make some decisions first, such as the following:

How long do you wish to stay in YNP and GTNP? The former is huge, with many things to see/do, so I suggest at the very least two full days, and one full day in the latter. Better to have 6 days or more between the two, 4 and 2 respectively.

When is this trip? You'll need to make lodging reservations for the over night en route, but also for the parks ASAP; again, we can advise.

PS You need a car to see these two parks. You could drive or fly and rent.

Edited: 12:19 pm, May 22, 2011
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
2. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

If it were me I'd go up to Spokane and hop on I-90 and take it all the way to highway 191 then drop down. Its freeway all the way with lots of rest stops and little towns to pull over in if need be and of course faster. Police patrols the freeway so if there is ever any trouble you'd be safe.

Collie

Edited: 5:42 pm, May 22, 2011
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
3. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

I agree. The option of, e.g., SR 12, might be interesting but also, quite literally, off the beaten track. You could also go 84 to 86 and into Jackson. But colliegirl's route is best for you.

Sarasota, FL
reviews: 73
4. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Thanks for the quick responses! I am still considering making two different trips, one sooner to Jackson, and then late Aug have reservations at Crater Lake and can go to WW at that time. But I was considering doing it all at once (and then driving over to the coast and down to L.A.(!) Maybe too much at one time.

I H AD been thinking of 12 from WW, so thanks for that reference--it certainly looks more direct on a map.

I'll continue looking at air, car and hotel options and get back if I have more questions later.

Again, THANKS!!!

Seattle
reviews: 1
5. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Hi, Saw anniemax's question about driving from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons while searching for an answer to my own question: What's the best way to drive from Seattle to Grand Tetons, then back from Yellowstone to Seattle? We're going in late July (busy, I know, but that's when we have the time) and already have our reservations in the parks. We'd like to make each drive, over and back, in two days. Doesn't have to be the same route each way.

Thanks!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
6. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

The most obvious is going I-90 you could then come back 84 through Boise and then up to Seattle however that is a longer route to take. If you only have two days each way I'd plan on I-90 and plan on seeing different things each way, What would interest you as far as scenery or history is concerned that would give us a better idea of our suggestions for you.

Collie

Seattle
7. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Thanks so much. So it looks like I-90 to Bozeman, then drop down thru Yellowstone to Grand Tetons. Is that what you're thinking? I'd say we're more interested in beautiful scenery than places of historic interest, since we'll mostly be driving and won't have a lot of time to stop and sightsee along the way. That said, if there's a place of particular historical interest, we'd be up for that.

Maybe stay in Missoula on the way over, then Wallace or Kellogg on the way back?

Thanks again.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
8. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

The scenery is awesome along the way and yes I-90 to Bozeman then down 191. Missoula might be the best place to stay over night it just depends on how far you want to drive in a day. I'm so glad you're getting the opportunity to do this trip I know you'll love it.

Collie

Seattle
9. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to it.

Seattle
10. Re: best way to drive from Walla Walla to Grand Tetons Park, WY

OK; just did some rejiggering and we can take three days, so two nights, on the drive out and back. That looks like it should open up more possibilities for us. Maybe 84 thru Idaho on the way to the Tetons and 90 back to Seattle? Suggestions for where to spend the nights along the way?

Thanks.