We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid
reviews: 1
First timers

Hello everyone!

My wife and I will visit Honolulu as part of our honeymoon during next September. We will stay at the WAIKIKI BEACH MARRIOTT RESORT, which, though its somewhat Waikiki-East location, is only about 600 metres from the SHERATON PRINCESS & MOANA hotels, so I assume is within waking distance to the restaurants and nightlife area (please correct me if I'm wrong, so that I will look for something nearer that area).

I would be delighted if someone would be so kind to help me with two more things:

1) Safety on the area: I assume it will be safe to walk from the hotel to the nightlife area (and back) at night. If you think I'm wrong, I would be very pleased if you could tell me otherwise.

2) We would like to visit Lanikai. We do not drive, so we would like to know if the best way for it is to book an excursion or something like that, or do it our way via public transport or cab (and which would be the best way to get back to Waikiki?).

Thanks a lot!. Kindest regards!

San Francisco
reviews: 9
1. Re: First timers

It's relatively safe to walk on the main strip at night. Just be careful of pickpocketers especially when watching street performers or in crowded areas.

Madrid
2. Re: First timers

Thanks a lot!. What about getting to Lanikai Beach from Waikiki (and back)?.

Cheers!!

Madrid
3. Re: First timers

Hi out there,

maybe I'm a bit naive about Hawaii, and that's the reason for asking how to get from Waikiki to Kailua. We do not drive.

Could anyone help me?. Thanks & kindest regards!

Martinsburg, West...
reviews: 149
4. Re: First timers

We just got back from Hawaii and stayed in the Kailua / Lanikai area and visited Waikiki each night for dinner (the opposite of what you guys are going to do).

We found that around the 7pm timeframe, it took 30-40 minutes to drive between those areas (we had a rental). Kailua / Lanikai beaches / residential areas would not have a specific 'tour' excursion that I'm aware of. My only suggestion would be to take a cab. I'm assuming you'd want to spend a day there relaxing on the beach or kayaking. However, your cab fare (I assume) would be pretty high since its about a 40 minute drive each way. But if you are that interested and spending the day there, it may be worth it to you.

Lagrangeville, NY
reviews: 38
5. Re: First timers

What do you plan to do when visiting Lanikai Beach?

If you want to sunbath and relax on the beach, you could take the BUS. Check out the website (www.thebus.org) for schedules, routes, etc. It looks to me like you will take a bus from Waikiki to Ala Moana Center (e.g. 8), transfer to 56 or 57 to Kailua, then transfer to 70 for Lanikai. You can also take tours, but then you might not be able to stay as long or as little as you desire. There's always hiring a taxi to take you out to Lanikai. I just am not sure about how to get a hold of one when you are ready to leave. You hotel conciege should be able to help direct or make arrangements for you also.

If you would like to kayak, there are tour companies that would pick you up at your hotel in Waikiki. Check out some of the websites listed here on TA, or search for "Kailua kayak". Now this is not to Lanikai Beach, but you kayak from Kailua Beach (just north of Lanikai) and you see the two little islands that are off of Lanikai.

Madrid
6. Re: First timers

Thanks a lot Jenn123444 and Yung4fr!!.

Yes, sunbathing and enjoying what seems to be a tremendous beach is the reason for going to Kailua and/or to Lanikai to spend the day there.

Is the difference between those two beaches (Kailua and Lanikai) very big (in terms of quality. You know, sands, water colour...).

Thanks a lot again!

Lagrangeville, NY
reviews: 38
7. Re: First timers

Lanikai and Kailua are practically next to each other. I remember similar sand and water color.

Lanikai is in a residential area, it has no facilities (showers, restroom, etc), and you have to pay attention to where the public access paths are (there are blue public access signs posted). It is very scenic.

Kailua is a Beachpark where you can find facilities, lifeguards, concession stand, and it is a much longer beach. It is also very scenic. I personally prefer Kailua, because I like having facilities available. My husband like Lanikai, because he thinks it is prettier and tranquil.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
8. Re: First timers

If you take the bus, stick with Kailua Beach. Lanikai Beach is nice, but not worth the extra wait for buses.

The beaches at Waikiki & Ala Moana are good.

If you plan to go around the island by bus, then maybe Waimea Beach Park is the one you ought to go to instead of Kailua or Lanikai. It is scenic & in my opinion, the best beach on Oahu.

A cab is way too expensive to go to Kailua or Lanikai beaches.

Link to Oahu attractions by bus:

http://www.thebus.org/pop/pop.asp

Any place in Waikiki is relatively safe. You do need to be more careful after 10pm though. Waikiki is walkable from any other area in Waikiki. The entire strip is only about 2 km long and aobut 400-500 meters wide.

Waikiki Beach Marriott is right across the street from the best Waikiki beach.

Lots to do on Oahu:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 14
9. Re: First timers

Does anyone have an opinion about the Waikiki Beach Marriott? We are considering it for February, but have heard it's noisy.

Middleton, WI
reviews: 29
10. Re: First timers

If you don't drive that limits going to some of the quieter beaches. Kailua is a long sandy beach, a favorite of locals the softest sand. Lanikai is next door and is much smaller, and in a residential area. There is some snorkelling. I think Kailua would be pretty easy to get to by bus. Also, try walking away from the crowd in Waikiki towards Diamond Head to a beach called San Souci, less crowded.

Crime does happen, but on the whole Waikiki is pretty safe. Lots of cops around too. You can walk on the beach at night; can't do that in Florida.