We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Normal IL
reviews: 26
Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

We are traveling to Honolulu in June and are looking at either the Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach hotel. 4 of us (mom, dad, 15 and 13 year old). Which would you recommend and why? Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Dallas
reviews: 22
1. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

I would not recommend either one really.

Is there a reason you have narrowed your selections down to these two choices? Other, better options might be available if you tell us your budget.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
2. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

I didn't have a single problem staying at AWB. Good location on the Diamond Head side, great views, right across the street from the beach. However, I think the rooms may be too tight for 4. When we stayed, our kids were 17 & 20 and had their own, adjoining room. Thank goodness because once they spread out, their room was a mess! Plus the bathrooms are very small. I'd hate to share that tiny space between 4 people.

Normal IL
reviews: 26
3. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

We are trying to keep the per night cost to around $160. (Airfare is a kicker from the Midwest) We selected those 2 as they both seem to be have ocean views and both claim to be right across from the beach. We are really only concerned that the room is clean as we will not be spending that much time in the room.

Placebets - why do you not recommend either?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
4. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

Either one is fine, but I much prefer the pool deck at the Aston.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Check TA sister site Oyster.com too.

oyster.com/hawaii/…

oyster.com/hawaii/hotels/pacific-beach-hotel/

Dallas
5. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

In that case I too would go with the OWB.

I would not pick them because I think the Pacific Beach is just not a nice hotel, and the OWB is at the far end of the Waikiki area. For a little more money, I think you can stay in a nicer hotel and a better location.

But, I think OWB is probably O.K. other than that.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

London, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

Myself and a friend have booked an Oceanfront Room at the Pacific Beach Hotel for July (we're first time visitors to Hawaii), but on reading your comments and reading some reviews on Tripadvisor, it is making me have second thoughts! We will be coming from the UK, so went for the Pacific Beach hotel because 1) reasonably priced and we were able to afford the Oceanfront Room and 2) location - right across the beach but, from what we gathered, away from the hustle and bustle. Is the Pacific Beach really that bad?

Dallas
7. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

GT-BM it is not a terrible, terrible hotel but there might be better options for you.

Have you looked at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber? It would be a much better option in my opinion, and should not be that much more expensive.

What is your budget in $US and there might be other, better options to consider.

I suggest you start you own thread on the topic to get some more help.

London, United...
8. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

Thank you Placebets - I will look into the hotel you suggested, and also start another thread for more info.

Cheers.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
9. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

GT, look at the two links below.

For me the two negatives of the Pacific Beach Hotel are the pool is lousy and the hotel rooms are so so, but if you are in the Beach Tower in the picture above, I think it is a no brainer on staying put.

London, United...
10. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach

Thank you Scottca075 - those links are very helpful. We will be staying in the Beach Tower of the Pacific Beach Hotel, and it does sound as though the rooms within that tower are the ones the hotel have been upgrading. We've decided to stick with staying at this hotel.

Thank you all for your help :-)

Reply to: Aston Waikiki Beach or Pacific Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted