We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 14
Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Does anyone have experience in renting cars at the Honolulu airport? We will be flying in for an overnight layover and are debating the benefits of renting a car versus just using the hotel shuttle. Our concerns are the fact that the car rental areas appear to be off airport (shuttle service) and the length of time it would be to actually get into the car. More important is returning the car and getting to the terminal early the next morning. With a car we can drive into Waikiki easily but parking could be an issue there. We can always just rely on the hotel shuttle service to and from the airport and catch a bus into 'town'. So any comments would be appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

<<More important is returning the car and getting to the terminal early the next morning.>>

Help us out, please. I read your earlier post - and you are staying at the Best Western by the airport. But you only have ONE night? You leave early the next morning ... or noon?.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
2. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

It depends on who you rent from. I rent from Hertz or Avis only at HNL and both are onsite and walkable depending on the flight you come in on (which baggage claim area in other words) and because I belong to both Hertz and Avis's priority clubs I go straight to my car and leave, just showing my drivers license and paperwork at the exit. I by pass all the counters.

So once I've claimed by bags, or even better, only had a carry on like this last time, I am out of the airport in my rental in no more than 10 minutes usually.

Burnaby
3. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

I've rented a car arriving in the evening(11ish 12) and found the rental booths closed. Had to go out to the shuttles and wait for their bus to take me to the actual rental lot. Had to wait in a line with about 5-6 folks ahead of me to get processed. Personally if overnighter cab it! :)

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
4. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

I wouldn't rent overnight -- i stayed at the BW once for a stopover and took the bus into Waikiki -- if I am not mistaken it leaves from fairly near the hotel.

As for renting/returning, I've rented from offsite places several times and never had a problem. I've waited 10 or so min on a shuttle; might have taken me 15-20 min to turn in the car and get back to the airport.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Per your other post, just go to hotel, leave your luggage, and then take TheBus into Waikiki. Bus #19 or#20. ENJOY.

California
reviews: 4
6. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

I'm confused. Are you there only for a layover? Or will you have time to actually take the car out and see some of the island?

If it's the former, I don't see any reason to rent a car.

If you only have time to see Waikiki, I would look at the bus schedules per Cruzncouple's recommendation (www.thebus.org). Buses would be slower than a car, but they would eliminate Waikiki parking hassles.

Overall, I've had nothing but good experiences renting cars at Waikiki. I definitely remember skipping the shuttle and just walking to the rental-car desk once or twice.

Rental returns are really fast and easy. We allow an extra 15 minutes to return our car and get to the terminal and it's always plenty of time.

California
reviews: 14
7. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Sorry - guess I'm a little vague. We're flying in from CA and arriving around noon. So we will have most of the afternoon and evening to go into 'town' (or further if we have a car...but it's not a necessity) The following day we have a flight to Sydney at 11ish. I understand that we need to be at the airport 3 hours prior to an international flight. So I'm thinking that we need to be checking in about 8. I don't know how long it would take for us to drop off a rental car and get back to the terminal. While cost isn't really a major factor, I really don't like the the estimated taxi fare to and from Waikiki.

I'm not trying to be a pain, really. Just looking at my options and hoping someone with more knowledge has some suggestions. Thank you all for taking your time to reply

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
8. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

So.......It depends on who you rent from.

I rent from Hertz or Avis only at HNL and both are onsite at the airport and walkable from the baggage claim area.

Because I belong to both Hertz and Avis's priority clubs I go straight to my car and leave, just showing my drivers license and paperwork at the exit. I bypass all the counters.

You have plenty of time to explore the island with a car. Get it and return it the same day. If you don't belong to priority club already with Hertz or Avis, join it, get your information on file so you don't need to stop at a counter and waste time there.

Be sure to drop your bags at the hotel, they will hold them until you return and check in. Drop off your spouse at the hotel, return the car and walk to the hotel. It is about 4/10 of a mile from where you drop off the car, see map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/1y0sJ

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
9. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Returning cars is no big deal. You are met by staff with hand-held electronics, and they give you your receipt - bang. I've never waited more than a couple minutes for the shuttle to take me to the terminal.

BUT - in your case, I would not rent a car. I'd get settle in your hotel, maybe nap if need be - and then take the bus into Waikiki. We can help you with a good centralized stop. Again, no big deal. Parking on Waikiki is NOT fun, and it is expensive.

Norman, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
10. Re: Ease of renting cars at Honolulu Airport

Looking at the websites, it appeared that all car rentals at Honolulu were offsite and accessible by shuttle. Is that not the case? It would be great to not have to schlep luggage on a shuttle after that long flight!