We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

We will spend 5 days in Waikiki and would like to spend 1 or 2 afternoons to visit Honolulu. I do not want to rent a car. Would the Hop-On Hop-Off bus be a good choice for us?

Any alternative?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
1. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

I would take the city bus (The Bus) before I would take the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus.

I know you say you do not want to rent a car.

But that is the best way to explore the island.

Even a day or two car rental is better than taking commercial tours or touring by city bus.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
2. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

You know ... most of the time I see the hop-on buses they are almost empty. I like the concept, but I think that they are too expensive.

I'd take the city bus. Perhaps buy a 4-day pass if you are going to use it alot.

Canada
reviews: 24
3. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

I have not done the Hop on Hop off bus tour in Honolulu as we always rent a vehicle, but we have done it in a number of other N American cities for first time visits.

We have always enjoyed the format.....and we are not usually "sign up for tours kinda folk" The info shared by the Host on the Bus is usually quite informative and often entertaining.

Some cities offer a ticket that is good for 7 days.

I am an advocate of self touring in Hawaii, but did want to share our HOHO experience as a positive one.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

we just got back from honolulu and had a hop on off bus for a whole week and would highly recomend it too anybody we went from diamond head too waikele too pearl harbour and up and down kalakau everyday

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

We just finished a week in Waikiki and used the hop on hop off bus. What a waste. We had one guide who was really good. He had lots of knowledge.But the rest basically ignored everyone

We've used this in many other cities and it was great. Here it was just a means of transportation which the city bus would have done much better. There was definitely no guiding. The maps you find in the little stands are outdated and incorrect. We wasted an hour waiting at two different stops only to find the route had changed.One bus we were on broke down on a major road and we were stranded for almost an hour waiting for a replacement. There was no compensation. The Bus is my suggestion.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 2
6. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

We just finished a week in Waikiki and used the hop on hop off bus. What a waste. We had one guide who was really good. He had lots of knowledge.But the rest basically ignored everyone

We've used this in many other cities and it was great. Here it was just a means of transportation which the city bus would have done much better. There was definitely no guiding. The maps you find in the little stands are outdated and incorrect. We wasted an hour waiting at two different stops only to find the route had changed.One bus we were on broke down on a major road and we were stranded for almost an hour waiting for a replacement. There was no compensation. The Bus is my suggestion.

7. Re: Is the Hop-On Hop-Off a good way to see the city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014