We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
reviews: 4
Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Hi All,

Would love any help on what I should do...

Ive booked a trip over to Hawaii in just under 2 weeks and am a late 20s New Zealand girl travelling by myself (first time as well!!)

Im in Honolulu for work for 4 days, so at least I will be acquanted with Honolulu and with other people to start with. I then have no plans at all for 7 days!

I would love any recommendations, assistance etc on what I can do!

(Also I guess it pays to note, im definately doing this on the cheap)

Thanks heaps for any help :-)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

OK - Two things ... no make that three things:

Will you have a car or are you willing to rent a car?? You'll need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on Oahu.

What exactly are your dates? American Thanksgiving is November 22, and that week is super, super busy with family vacations. Any hotel/resort/flight/car needs to be reserved right away - and you may find availability tight and prices higher than the norm.

Are you thinking of changing Islands? You would need to fly among the Islands ... adding to your costs.

The cheapest approach would be to stay on Oahu in Honolulu. Perhaps the hotel you are staying at will extend your stay for a good price. There is a TON of things to see and do on Oahu ... no problem there ... but is would be best if you could rent a car for some of the days. Again, they should be reserved right away.

If you want us to toss out ideas for hotels/resorts ... on any Island ... we would need your nightly accomodations budget.

Edited: 12:27 am, November 04, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
2. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Beach, explore, use TheBUS. Pack a lunch and your towel and go have a blast

NZ
3. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

I am there from the 16th - 23rd, so will be there for Thanksgiving...that will be a tad sad on my own.

Was thinking of staying at a backpackers in Waikiki for the entire time, is that going ot be too long to stay around there?

I guess budget is around $100 ish...Im just more concerned that ill be by myself so i guess meeting people etc would be good.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
4. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

If you can't meet people in hawaii you can't meet people anywhere on the planet. OHANA! Almost everyone you meet is like Ohana in no time.

Go have fun and get a room booked already.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 1
5. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Well, if you are coming for work, the first place to start is at your temporary working place for four days. Start meeting the people at work and if I am right, the local people you are working with will be glad to help you with questions. At lunch and break time, start asking all the questions. You might just be in the right place where the locals will invite you out for pau hana happy hour and that might just lead to being invited to show you the night life, of course on the weekend.

We, the people of Hawaii are friendly and we are easy going. We share our Aloha and hospitality with everyone and like I said, things can start in the work place and you will be surprise. The important thing is to ask questions.

Good luck

6. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:48 pm, November 19, 2012
Northern California...
reviews: 18
7. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

I haven't actually stayed here but the Waikiki Gateway Hotel is running a winter sale and you can get a room for $92/night (taxes not included). There are some deals available if you don't mind having to walk a block or two to the beach.

Northern California...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Someplace I have stayed at is the Ilima Hotel. They have a winter special going for $100/night for the lower floor units. All rooms have kitchenettes so you can save some $$$ by eating breakfast in your hotel. Its not luxury but it will serve your basic needs. Ask for a room overlooking the Ala Wai Canal/golf course.

California
9. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Waikiki Sand Villa is about $80 a night and has a friendly, convivial bar area. www.sandvillahotel.com

The problem, of course, is being a twentysomething woman sitting alone at a bar. That image can bring out the worst in some people. Luckily, the atmosphere in Oahu is very family-oriented, meaning you don't see a lot of men on the prowl, so to speak. So the young-woman-alone dynamic may not be a problem at all. Just something to think about.

Maybe consider taking surf lessons, stand-up paddleboard lessons, hula lessons, scuba lessons, lei-making classes -- stuff like that. I think horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch could be a nice communal experience (pricey, though).

If you really want to connect with people, maybe search around for "voluntourism" opportunities. (I've heard of those in other places, but not Hawaii. Still, there could be fun ways to lend a hand.)

I wonder if there are volleyball games and the like you could join at Ft. DeRussy Park or Kapiolani Park.

There's plenty of stuff to enjoy in a solitary way, too -- beaches, museums, live music, historical sites, snorkeling, aquarium, zoo, and on and on.

You'll have a wonderful time, either way!

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 38
10. Re: Week along adventuring Hawaii - help!

Can't hardly remember being 20-something (sigh), but I think Islekane has the best advice. You will be clueing people in when you ask questions about what you might do during your first trip to Hawaii...and that you have 7 UNPLANNED days. it might garner you an invite for the evening or to their home, or who knows! Be open and grateful. If you don't get an invite, suggest to someone in your hostel or that you met on your job to get together for an evening or whatever. They may be just as shy and wanting for company as you. People of Hawaii are generally welcoming ~ just show that you are receptive. And remember, always show your appreciation.