We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

What's the cheapest way to get from Honolulu to Hilo/Volcanoes National Park? Just three plane tickets would cost us around 700 bucks, which seems way too expensive for a one-day trip to hike in the park. Ideas? Experience?

Lagrangeville, NY
reviews: 38
1. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but doing it yourself by flying to Hilo and renting a car is the cheapest way. There isn't another way to get to Hilo unless you charter a boat which I'm going to guess is going to cost more and take a lot more time.

Maybe try different dates and fly different times to get the airfare a little cheaper? I think it will cost you around $600 (flight + car) for 3 people.

Indianapolis...
2. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

I'm in class on weekdays, so it will have to be a weekend, which makes it more expensive. I'd hate to miss this hike, but that's a lot of money! Tell me it's worth it.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
3. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

If you're expecting to see live lava, know that the surface flow has stopped. There is lava flowing into Pu`u O`o crater, but there's no telling what will happen.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
4. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

Which hike? There are many in VNP and no way to see lava at the moment at all, but there really is no cheap or easy way to make the trip for the day! Save this idea until you can visit the BI for a week or more! It's a big a gorgeous island!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
5. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

Please do a search on the Oahu and Big Island Forums. I know that, expecially on the Oahu Forum, there have been some excellent threads about one-day visits.

6. Re: from Honolulu to Volcanoes National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, October 04, 2012