We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua hotels

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aqua hotels

Considering Waikiki Beachside, Palm and Spa or Park Shore Waikiki. Any recommendations? (or other hotel for one night after flying in) Moving to a condo for a week the next day.

thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Aqua hotels

The Aqua hotels have kinda shot themselves in the foot on the Trip Advisor Hawaii forums. They have a reputation for soliciting (or manufacturing) positive reviews ... making them look alot better than they really are.

Here's is my favorite map. The commentary is pretty good. I am sure that others will chime in on a bext choice for you. www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

BKK
reviews: 1
2. Re: Aqua hotels

Interesting response BLBL. I was looking at the reviews for the first time yesterday and was very suspicious given most reviews only had a few posts and that includes a pics.

I hope someone else will provide additional ideas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
3. Re: Aqua hotels

I've been "on the boards" here for the past 4 years ... and the dialogue about the faux reviews for the Aquas has been pretty consistent. And, all of these hotels are not 100% bad - that's not what I am trying to say. Some of the responses here on the forum are from visitors who were satisfied, if not pleased. Some of the Aquas are in pretty old buiildings, perhaps no pool or view -- small rooms ... but that's not to say that some of them are not a good low cost option. But the reviews are not trustworthy. As I said, they have shot themselves in the foot.

Prime, this forum is full of good ideas on where to stay -- and good ideas on discounts, too.

Edited: 10:02 pm, July 09, 2010
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
4. Re: Aqua hotels

For one night, of your choices - Park Shore because of the location. Waikiki Beachside also has a nice location.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
5. Re: Aqua hotels

The Park Shore is a great location with great views, I hear the rooms could use updating, but for one night, I agree with Dusty. The other place I might consider is the Waikiki Circle.

And on the Aqua hotel reviews.... it isn't just the one time posters, but the consistent style of the posts, constantly praising individual staff members by name and not usually just "Susie", but in some cases the full name, full names that are hard to spell even, and you seldom ever see that for any other hotels.

I like this link in addition to the one that Betty Lou had.

http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

merlin666
reviews: 2
6. Re: Aqua hotels

While there are many positive reviews on TA, there is just as much aqua bashing going on in the forum - mainly from people who have never stayed there and who are promoting hotels that may be double the rate for fewer features offered. I cannot comment on the whole line of aqua hotels, but found the two properties that I stayed at (1xPalms, 2xCoconut) to be excellent value for the money and a definite top choice for the budget oriented traveler - you can get **** amenities for ** price!

Alberta
reviews: 7
7. Re: Aqua hotels

I too have noticed a lot of Aqua hotel bashing and received advice not to stay in an Aqua hotel. We stayed at the Aqua Bamboo and Spa in Feb. (group of 10 - 5 rooms) for a week and each and every one of us thought that the hotel was great. We wanted and paid for a budget hotel - the views were not great and 1 room had street noise but for the little bit of time we spent in the rooms - it was fine. We loved the added perks of the included breakfast as well as the beach chairs etc. that were available for use from the pool area. I would book here again and would recommend it to people who are looking for a budget hotel.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
8. Re: Aqua hotels

Aqua hotels are decent. I think a bit overpriced though for what you get.

I would consider staying at one of them.

That said:

Aqua hotels do solicit reviews from guests.

When guests check out, the reservation clerk asks how they liked their stay. If the answer is positive, the guests are informed about TripAdvisor & how to place a review.

If the answer is negative or even just average, the guests are not informed about TripAdvisor.

It is not illegal for any hotel, attraction or restaurant to do so & in fact may help get more customers as the ranking goes way up.

However, I don't think it is bashing Aqua because we try to inform forum readers that the reviews are skewed to show the hotel is much better than it actually is. We tell it like it is, good or bad.

I think it is rare that anyone would join TripAdvisor to make a review of a hotel, attraction, restaurant, etc., unless they were coached how to do it. Why no other reviews for the attractions & restaurants they went to. They joined TripAdvisor just for that one particular review & we should take it as face value? I don't think so!

Look on the left side of the page & click on Things to Do. 3-4 years ago, the top things to do were USS Arizona Memorial, National Cemetery of the Pacific, Bishop Museum, etc. Now the top things to do are surf schools, diving tours, food tours, etc. And they all solicit reviews from their customers.

I really think it is up to us giving advice on this forum to let readers know what is happening.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
9. Re: Aqua hotels

I have never seen anyone "bash" the Aquas on this Forum. However, many of us do caution folks that their reviews are inflated. It's only fair, and the Aquas practices, in the long run, may backfire.

There has been considerable media lately about how easy it is for hotels to "stack the deck" so to speak with favorable reviews on public websites. A bit of an "inside job" - and any hotel, condo owner, etc., can easily do it. For that reason, I think that the comments given on the forums are more balanced. And that being said, the Aquas to give travelers a lower-cost option ... so we all can enjoy Hawaii! Yea!

Edited: 7:37 pm, July 12, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 16
10. Re: Aqua hotels

Besides what Dusty,BLBL and Scott said in there posts which imo is correct. Do you reall think the Best Western Coconut and Hotel Renew are the # 1& 2 hotels in Waikiki ahead of the Halekulani. Only because they have so many reviews have they reached that status on TA .