We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 1
Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

Hi there,

Has anyone done this trip recently? It looks to me like either a trip via LA to Vancouver bundled with a return trip Van-Hawaii return (then the return leg of the first flight) is about the same price as booking two separate trips (Sydney-Hawaii return + Hawaii-Vancouver return).

I've read a bit about Jetstar being more enjoyable than Qantas, to be honest I'm looking for Star Alliance options to either get or use points which means the first option although that requires more flying.

Any ideas appreciated.

Canada/Australia
reviews: 15
1. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

What about Sydney to Vancouver with Air Canada and then Vancouver/Honolulu/auckland/Sydney with Air New Zealand. All Star Alliance.

2. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:50 pm, March 23, 2009
Sydney
3. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

I've flown SYD-HNL-YVR a couple of times with Air Canada. A cheaper option might be SYD-HNL with Jetstar and then HNL-YVR with Westjet which I have also flown.

Canada
reviews: 11
4. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

The YVR-HNL-SYD flight on AC is no longer in operation (or rather, the YVR-SYD flight no longer stops in HNL - thankfully for those of us flying to SYD). There are no AC options between HNL and SYD.

As a PP posted, the only *A flights between HNL and SYD are on Air New Zealand via Auckland.

I'm having trouble following your post, but it sounds like you are suggesting booking: SYD-YVR return and YVR-HNL return, is that correct? If you wanted to go SYD-YVR you don't need to go through LA (unless you want to) as AC goes SYD-YVR direct.

I'm not sure of Air New Zealand's stopover rules, but you may be able to book a single flight SYD-YVR return with a stop over in HNL on your way back (or on your way out - depending on your preference).

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

Here's an idea: Post on the air travel forum. Chuck...

Sydney
6. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

Crashbb - thanks for the suggestion. You've got it right with respect to the trip option, ideally we want to avoid doubling up on any of the legs - so it would be a stopover in Hawaii on the way back down to Sydney.

Air NZ may be our best bet as its *A.

Sydney
7. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

Acougar - did you do that flight combo with a switch on the same day? i.e. to Vancouver you swapped at the airport to WestJet and just kept going? I'm curious if any airlines have lined up there flights to win a few customers.

Sydney
8. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

I flew SYD-HNL & stayed a week then flew HNL-YVR. On the return I flew YVR-HNL and got in about 10:30pm and then flew HNL-SYD the next morning at about 9:30am, so it did mean staying overnight at an airport hotel (it didn't cost too much to stay though). I managed to get a great deal for the flights though as both Jetstar & Westjet had sales on at the time.

Sorry about the Air Canada bum steer, I haven't flown with them for a couple of years & didn't realise that you couldn't go through HNL anymore!

9. Re: Best way to fly Sydney - Vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, October 23, 2009