We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waikiki 1st time please help!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
waikiki 1st time please help!

Hi,

Me and a friend will be going to Waikiki in September its our first time, we are in our early twenties and want to know where all the "must go to" places are. including nightlife. Also how is the Waikiki Resort hotel? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 5
1. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

I have not stayed at the Waikiki Resort Hotel. However, having walked by it several times, it does not look all that promising. However, location is okay. My best friend and I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel, as budget was a huge issue that trip---anyway, great location, wonderful service. It's a clean, budget hotel with a view that cannot be beat.

As for must sees---rent a car. You will not regret it. Visit Waminaloe Beach and Kailua (go kayaking there). Also, you have to visit the North Shore. September is a great time of year to go. The water will be warm, the weather fantastic. I went in Sept of 2004.

As for nightlife- a great bar is Duke's to hang in for awhile. Drinks are reasonably priced. I'll let some of the locals advise on Nightlife as we pretty much wandered and went into places that looked interesting. The Hyatt was one of them.

Have fun. Aloha.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 1
2. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

I just got back from Waikiki. As for nightlife, my local friends took me to Venus on Friday nights. I've heard Ocean's is a great club. I also went to Mai Tai's in Ala Moana, and Tiki's at the Aston Beach Hotel. Those bars were cool. Let me know if you need any other recommendations.

Orlando
reviews: 2
3. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

If you are on Oahu (Honolulu) on Friday, September 9th, the main street in Wakiki (Kalakaua Avenue) will be closed for the big block party with many stages with a variety of entertainment for the annual Aloha Festival and a week later the parade from Ala Moana Shopping Center to and through Waikiki will be on Saturday, September 17. The big block party downtown will be Friday, September 16th. see alohafestivals.com/v3/pages/events/oahu.jsp

california
4. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

Thank you for the replies!

Has anyone been to the luau at Germaines? Is it good? Another question is how old do you have to be to rent a car?

We will be arriving 9-17-05 and departing 9-24-05... we are so excited! What is the cheeseburger restraunt that I keep hearing about? Thank you for all the help in advance.

LA/OC
reviews: 2
5. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

For nightlife checkout the webiste: (pubclub.com). There's two sections... bars and clubs.

hope this helps...

honolulu, hawaii
6. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

Check out the local newspapers online for current and future: events, happenings, clubs, parades, etc...

Go to :http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/il/tgifcal

Los Angeles...
reviews: 6
7. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

I used to live in Oahu so I will fill in on the questions that haven't been answered yet.

"Has anyone been to the luau at Germaines? Is it good? " - Do not go to that luau. It's quite tacky. If you must go, try Paradise Cove or the one at Polynesian Cultural Center, which borders on tacky but at least you get to see the center.

"Another question is how old do you have to be to rent a car?" 25 years old

"What is the cheeseburger restraunt that I keep hearing about? "

You're probably hearing about "Kua'Aina". Two locations. The original one is in Haleiwa (North Shore) and the other is across from the Ward Center in Honolulu. Great burgers and has been a favorite for locals for years.

You could also go to a place in downtown Honolulu (on Nuuanu), called "Indigo". Small bar with good martinis, yummy appetizers. Locals go to "Oceans". When I go back home I head to the bars at Aloha Tower Marketplace. Gordon Biersch always has live entertainment (Hawaiian contemporary) on the weekends and its right on the water (harbor). More of a hang out type of bar and bump into your friends type of place. People go there after work. I don't know about the dance clubs any longer but there's also a Hard Rock Cafe.

Cascade, Iowa
reviews: 9
8. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

I thought the cheeseburger place you had read about was probably Cheeseburger in Paradise. Fun place to eat with live music.

Hamakua
9. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

Aloha California408,

There's lots of things to do and see in Waikiki itself. Walk down the beach from one end to the other. It is even nice by moonlight. For bars and clubs, just wander down the strip and you will see one every 500 feet. Go through Hilton Hawaiian Village. Just wander through the big fancy hotels and see all the shops and things they have, you don't have to be staying there to go in them.

Instead of renting a car, you may look into getting a bus pass. TheBus on Oahu goes to just about anywhere and they have bicycle racks on the front, too. If you can bring a bicycle, you may save a lot instead of renting a car. You can circle the island on the citybus, it will take longer than a tourist bus and go to neighborhoods that the tourist bus won't but it will only be about a dollar and a half. If you see something interesting, ask for a transfer as you get off and then you'll be able to get back on a bus going the same direction. Once you head back the other way (unless you completely circle the island) then you have to pay another dollar and a half fare. (Check the bus fares, they might be higher or lower, it's been awhile since I've ridden TheBus.)

From Waikiki, you can walk along the ocean front to Aloha Tower and that puts you in downtown Honolulu and Chinatown. It is probably less than three miles and there is all sorts of things between Waikiki and Aloha Tower. Plus lots of the tour places - Hilo Hatties, Maui Divers, etc. have trolleys and tour busses that cruise Waikiki picking up folks to take them to Aloha Tower or Hilo Hatties. A taxi back to Waikiki would be pretty inexpensive, as well as almost all the city busses (TheBus) go to Ala Moana Shopping center which is right next to Waikiki.

It is pretty easy to get around Oahu without a car. Plus you don't have to try to find a parking spot.

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

california
10. Re: waikiki 1st time please help!

Thank you thank you for the replies. the more i know the more I feel prepared.

Now I know I am going to be riding "the bus" cuz I am not old enough to rent.

Any additional information would be great!

I was also wondering if anyone knows anything abou the Waikiki Ocean Resort Hotel. That is where we will be staying and we got it with a package deal so i am not sure how happy or worried I should be. ... Another question is the beach rocky, and should I bring a pair of water shoes just in case.

Im really excited! We will be arriving in Waikiki 9-17-05 and departing 9-24-05... we hope to do everything... especially snorkeling which brings me to this... how strong of a swimmer do you have to be to go snorkeling?

Hope to hear back. Thanks again.