We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Help: Intimate Reception Place

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 33
Wedding Help: Intimate Reception Place

Hey there all TA'ers...hoping you can help with my wedding plans.

We're looking at getting married in October, on Oahu - not necessarily at Waikiki.

There are a million companies that offer ceremony packages, but I'm having trouble with the reception.

We'll have about 10-15 people with us and we would like to have a very intimate, private reception dinner.

A luau would be great - but it doesn't seem that there are private ones on offer (and the organised ones are very expensive).

Ideally, we'd like a nice restaurant with a private dining room that has some sort of view or ambiance. (Think: Dukes without all of the people)

Any advice and recommendations would be VERY much appreciated!

Cheers

Becs

UK
1. Re: Wedding Help: Intimate Reception Place

We had ours at Willows in Honolulu. Everyone loved it although I barely ate a thing all night ! By that point I just wanted to sleeeeeep !! They have a good eat as much as you like buffet so that everyone should find at least something that they like. http://www.willowshawaii.com/ There are several rooms for varying numbers of people but we chose to sit outside. We asked them for a quiet area as it was for an after wedding meal and were given quite a private table next to the pond with a view of the "catamaran" which floats in the middle of the pond. It's a really nice setting with lots of tropical planting, ambient atmosphere and a "dancing" fountain as well as waterfalls and a small wedding chapel in the grounds too. I would advise taking a taxi though as it can be quite hard to spot if you don't know where you are going.

Seattle
reviews: 1
2. Re: Wedding Help: Intimate Reception Place

Hi there,

I used to live on Oahu but moved away 3 years ago so I will give you my best few options... I would recommend you call these few places, ask if they can accomodate your group in a set away private group that has a view. If not, ask their recommendation and be very nice about, they should help you out.

In no order:

- John Dominis: It's a great seafood restaurant on the far north (towards airport) side of Waikiki. It's just past the Ala Moana park and they are along the water on a peninsula type area that has great views of Waikiki and the water. The restaurant has a koi pond INSIDE along with a fun sushi bar. www.johndominis.com

- Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel: It's on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki along the water with good views of the water and Waikiki. They have a great restaurant that is ranked #3 on Trip Advisor but it may be too small. They also have reception type banquet rooms with views so you should ask about all their options. http://www.kaimana.com/dining/index.html

- Elks Club: Yes I know this sounds very dumb, but they have a great location on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki close to Hau Tree. I believe it's members only but you might want to call and ask if they rent out to private parties. It's not the most updated building, but the location and view is awesome! I laughed at my friend who became a member there, but my first visit I understood why! When the soda Sierra Mist came out in 2002 I believe, they hosted a winners party during the Pro Bowl at the Elks and I met Donovan McNabb, Marcus Allen, Michael Strahan and other stars... all this at the Elks Club!?!

- Haleiwa Joes: This is way up on the North Shore, but this restaurant came to mind if you wanted something away from town. They are along the water but I'm not sure if you could get a private party and feel "alone". But it's worth a call.

- Also on the North Shore, you might want to call Turtle Bay resort and see if they could do anything for you... probably too expensive, but you never know. The view they have in the bay is awesome!

Good luck and have a great time!

3. Re: Wedding Help: Intimate Reception Place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 17, 2009