We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport from DC

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germantown, Maryland
reviews: 13
Newport from DC

I would like to travel to Newport in early October and stay at the Attwater hotel. Is it best to travel by plane or train. I researched Kingston, RI Amtrak station vs. Green airport and I am not sure which is best and how I will get from the airport or station to the hotel. I won't have a rental car. Also is Attwater near major sites: mansions, shops, museums, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Newport from DC

The Attwater is very centrally located in Newport. Flying is much quicker than train from DC. An hour or so, versus 5 or 6? There is local RIPTA bus service 2.- to Newport from TF Green, as well as a shuttle van which is about 20-30.-

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 66
2. Re: Newport from DC

The Atwatter is located fairly close to many of the mansions and the Tennis Hall of Fame. If you are OK with walking down to Thames Street for many restaurants and the waterfront then this is an OK choice.

There isn't anything wrong with this location but most folks like to stay closer to Thames Street.

Train vs plane? It's a looonnnnng train ride from DC but it can be done. There are busses or cabs to get you from Kingston to Newport

Germantown, Maryland
3. Re: Newport from DC

Thank you so much for the advice. I don't mind the long train ride because I like the scenery. I just wasn't sure once I arrive at the airport or train station which was closer to Newport and which would be easier to get transportation from and for the cheapest. It sounds like either way I go transportation is the same. The Attwater location information is very helpful. I may try to move closer to the center of things.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Newport from DC

If you're taking the train, the Kingston station is closer to Newport, though the RIPTA bus connection runs less frequently. The Attwater really is still in center of historic Newport, if you can't move I wouldn't worry too much. There's a lot to be said for not being right on the water where all the crowds, boats and bars are, but I guess in October that probably wouldn't be an issue like in July.

Edited: 3:51 pm, March 16, 2014
Germantown, Maryland
5. Re: Newport from DC

Thank you Hillside68! It is good to know Kingston is closer. I could get a airport shuttle (the orange cab airport shuttle looks like a good option) from there. I thought the Attwater looked nice and a little more reasonably priced that some of the other hotels in the area. I agree it is nice to be away from the chaos a bit but at least still close. That's why I live in the suburbs. :) Thank you so much again for your help.

6. Re: Newport from DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 18, 2015